Tubes vs cages

Yikes... I just read this entire thread and now I'm concerned. Before I go too far with this, yes, I only have 4 chestnut trees this way. I received them as a gift from my father and I know he paid a higher prices so I don't want to lose them.

I have 4' fully vented tubes on my 4 chestnut trees. I also caged them with 5' welded wire mesh now that they have topped out of the tubes (this is still first year growth). I haven't found wasps in the tubes. I'll consider that a good thing. I suspect that a coon would be able to go over the cage.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Welded wire mesh likes to re-curl! Once you cut it, it becomes VERY sharp. I cringe at the thought that I was almost blinded in 1 eye last weekend as it swung back and caught me just under the eye. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Okay - so to my question/concern...
I was still planning to put screen around the base of the tree inside the tube as I've heard mice like to nest inside the tubes in the winter - but I don't see anyone doing that. But no one else mentioned putting $14 in protection around their trees either.

I also have some fruit trees planted and just caged and I plan to screen the bottoms of those trees as well.

Attachments

• chestnut.gif
    chestnut.gif
    471.4 KB · Views: 38
Sounds similar to the Tree Sentry set up.
https://treesentry.com/

I haven't heard of anyone using these. I contacted the owner of the company the first time I planted and he sent me a free sample. I currently have a black (sugar) maple planted in it. Started it this year from a small 13" seedling. So far it looks good, but conditions have been fairly optimal. I haven't done any weed control.

Did he mention pricing...? I see mention of a "pricing page" but no link to it. It may be that I am viewing from a mobile device, but all I can find is descriptions of how it works and why they feel it is superior.

It is definitely Italy and interesting concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did he mention pricing...? I see mention of a "pricing page" but no link to it. It may be that I am viewing from a mobile device, but all I can find is descriptions of how it works and why they feel it is superior.

It is definitely Italy and interesting concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received a quote in 2013 for several thousand (the neighbor and I had a contract for tree planting with the NRCS). It was something like $3.75/setup plus freight. Again, that was for huge quantities.

Safety glasses are a great idea when working with wire and wire fencing.
Definitely. Whether it's concrete mesh or welded wire, the stuff will spring back and stab ya. Having an assistant doesn't just make the job easier, an assistant makes it safer...they can stand on the loose end to keep it from springing back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had some chestnut and dwarf chink in pots and when it was cooler as long as I put some water on them every day they did fine then I got hot and it's a fight to keep them alive.I finally took the best one and tubed last week.It is still good green while the others that are in the shade after 10am are barely making it.I think tubes keep alot of trees alive that would other wise die during these high stress periods

Eternal debates.....never to be resolved.....

nature vs nurture

beatles vs stones

WW vs WR

tubes vs cages

bill

Just to confirm, for oaks/hardwoods/shrubs/conifers is a 6 linear feet at 4' high (makes just under 2' dia) cage good? Maybe larger for 6"×6" concrete remesh?

For fruit trees, 15 linear feet at 4' high (makes just under 5' dia) cages good?

H2O / O2 permeable landscape fabric underneath?

Staking dependent on mesh?

Has anyone tried landscape fabric under tubes?

Just to confirm, for oaks/hardwoods/shrubs/conifers is a 6 linear feet at 4' high (makes just under 2' dia) cage good? Maybe larger for 6"×6" concrete remesh?

For fruit trees, 15 linear feet at 4' high (makes just under 5' dia) cages good?

H2O / O2 permeable landscape fabric underneath?

Staking dependent on mesh?

Has anyone tried landscape fabric under tubes?
I think you'll find deer are sticking their nose into the concrete mesh and browsing your trees. I've had that happening to me. A wrap of cheap chicken wire around the mid height section if the mesh fixed the problem. Whenever the trees grow a little, the chicken wire can be moved to other cages if needed.

I think you'll find deer are sticking their nose into the concrete mesh and browsing your trees. I've had that happening to me. A wrap of cheap chicken wire around the mid height section if the mesh fixed the problem. Whenever the trees grow a little, the chicken wire can be moved to other cages if needed.

Got it. Skip the remesh. Chicken wire or 2"X4" welded wire. Held in place with a T-post.

Got it. Skip the remesh. Chicken wire or 2"X4" welded wire. Held in place with a T-post.
I still use remesh occasionally but for some trees that deer will browse, you might want to put a wrap of chicken wire around it...temporary for a few years. Once the tree grows out of browsing reach, it won't matter much if the bottom branches get browsed. After the tree reaches 5 or 6 feet, remove the chicken wire and rotate it to a new planting.
The thing I still like about remesh is it's almost self supporting, you can get away with less stakes. I also like that you can reach inside to do some maintenance.
Can't reach inside welded wire.
Tubes, remesh, welded wire...they all have their plusses and minuses. There is no perfect tree protector IMO.

This thread illustrates the vetting of ideas that you won't get in the glossy mags that tow party lines with state run messages.

Different opinions and experiences make this forum make this forum an enjoyable ride

bill

Reactions: Tap
So how does everyone apply screen? I took an 18" piece of wood and stapled window screen to it, then I wrapped the screen around the tree and stapled it back to the same piece of wood. I didn't keep things tight to the tree, I left a little gap. Do I have to worry about mice getting up and inside? I mean they can climb screen anyway...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Well, I just scored roughly 150' of 6' tall 2"X4" welded wire fencing! $50!

For weed barrier, what do all of you think of this:
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...18-c-13236.htm?tid=4113165148370407279&ipos=6

versus

this
http://www.bigrocktrees.com/X-cell-Fabric-3-feet-wide-x-300-feet-long-_p_74.html

Really no price difference, especially with taxes figured in. Just convenience of local p/u.

Last edited:
This thread was as heated as a habitat thread can get. Lol.