Triclopyr 4 for basal spraying

Milestone is better for locust trees in my experience.

Last weekend I used this method and put together the recommended 20% Triclopyr (Garlon 4)/80% basal oil carrier mix to stem spray MFR and bush honeysuckle. [Note: my mix was 20% of Garlon 4, not 20% of the active ingredient]. I bought a birchmeier 2.5 gallon sprayer to use with this mix as it supposedly has better internal components to stand up to the basal oil carrier. I have been impressed so far and the size seems perfect.

I did find it difficult to avoid overspraying as no matter how I adjusted the tip my target stems were too small to avoid my spray mix getting to the ground. If this method works, it is much easier and efficient compared to cut and spray methods or even foliar spraying (especially if MFR or BH has large crown.) Additionally, this method is supposedly effective year round, if so, its even more appealing in my book as I don't need to be dealing with ticks or pressuring the land nearer hunting season.

Check out this link for more details: https://grasslandrestorationnetwork...vasive-honeysuckle-with-basal-bark-herbicide/

Last weekend I used this method and put together the recommended 20% Triclopyr (Garlon 4)/80% basal oil carrier mix to stem spray MFR and bush honeysuckle. [Note: my mix was 20% of Garlon 4, not 20% of the active ingredient]. I bought a birchmeier 2.5 gallon sprayer to use with this mix as it supposedly has better internal components to stand up to the basal oil carrier. I have been impressed so far and the size seems perfect.

I did find it difficult to avoid overspraying as no matter how I adjusted the tip my target stems were too small to avoid my spray mix getting to the ground. If this method works, it is much easier and efficient compared to cut and spray methods or even foliar spraying (especially if MFR or BH has large crown.) Additionally, this method is supposedly effective year round, if so, its even more appealing in my book as I don't need to be dealing with ticks or pressuring the land nearer hunting season.

Check out this link for more details: https://grasslandrestorationnetwork...vasive-honeysuckle-with-basal-bark-herbicide/
Triclopyr is not soul active. It getting on ground around tree is no big deal. If using arsenal more of an issue. Not with triclopyr.

And there is no if. It works at 70-80 percent kill rate, verified by major university scientists. I add 1oz of aminopyralid to up the kill rate above 90%

I have a bunch of basal spraying to do and was going to wait until everything leafed our to avoid the big upward push in the springtime. Seems like kill will be better that way from what I read. Hope to use this to control beech, dogwood, and tulip poplars - they are like weeds on our place.

CAS_HNTR - ^ ^ ^

I just read a couple articles yesterday on this very thing - basal spraying w/ Triclopyr 4. Articles were from Penn State. It seems for MOST trees, the best time for basal spraying is from July to around Labor Day. Evidently some tree varieties begin their process of getting ready for colder weather (dropping nutrients down into their roots) earlier than was previously thought.

Maybe check with your state forestry / AG agencies to get more info on this. SOME types of trees & brush can be treated from mid-May on - but I believe that's for FOLIAR spraying of the leaves. I don't remember all the details. Just trying to maybe save you some labor & wasted money. I'm no expert!!!

I'm doing lots of stump treating with triclopyr and diesel right now. I have lots of buckthorn that has grown up within a foot of desirable mature trees. Anyone have any idea of possible risks from killing the nearby desirable trees from stump treating the buckthorn and it having shared roots with say a red or bur oak?

I'm doing lots of stump treating with triclopyr and diesel right now. I have lots of buckthorn that has grown up within a foot of desirable mature trees. Anyone have any idea of possible risks from killing the nearby desirable trees from stump treating the buckthorn and it having shared roots with say a red or bur oak?
I have done this and haven't seen it with diesel and garlon 4.
How big are the buckthorn stumps? Should take very little chemical to stump treat smaller stumps. If you're worried about it and it's a small(ish) buckthorn, you could foliar spray to be sure to protect the mature timber.

I have done this and haven't seen it with diesel and garlon 4.
How big are the buckthorn stumps? Should take very little chemical to stump treat smaller stumps. If you're worried about it and it's a small(ish) buckthorn, you could foliar spray to be sure to protect the mature timber.

Anywhere from 1-6” diameter and most have been cut already. Would probably wait til they started sprouting again to make another cut and dob on the chemical around the cambium

CAS_HNTR - ^ ^ ^

I just read a couple articles yesterday on this very thing - basal spraying w/ Triclopyr 4. Articles were from Penn State. It seems for MOST trees, the best time for basal spraying is from July to around Labor Day. Evidently some tree varieties begin their process of getting ready for colder weather (dropping nutrients down into their roots) earlier than was previously thought.

Maybe check with your state forestry / AG agencies to get more info on this. SOME types of trees & brush can be treated from mid-May on - but I believe that's for FOLIAR spraying of the leaves. I don't remember all the details. Just trying to maybe save you some labor & wasted money. I'm no expert!!!
I think I read the same article. Nothing like spraying in the heat of the summer!

I'll be basal spraying tomorrow. Following behind the forester who is marking the trees.

The bush honeysuckle I basal sprayed in early March appears to be leafing out as usual. Anyone have any experience as to when I should notice the effects of the herbicide treatment?

Last edited:
The bush honeysuckle I basal sprayed in early March appears to be leafing out as usual. Anyone have any experience as to when I should notice the efficts of the herbicide treatment?
They will leaf out. Die. Leaf out again. Die again. About 9 months before dead.

3 backpack fulls down so far. Hills are brutal, but I love it.20230413_172930.jpg

They will leaf out. Die. Leaf out again. Die again. About 9 months before dead.

Similar experience w gly for foliar on BH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting article which shows significantly lower concentrations of triclopyr being an effective method of killing trees and brush. Certainly would lower cost of application.

I tried basal spraying today with 4:1 carrier oil and Garlon 4 (generic) and ran into an issue. I'm using a Birchmeier 4 gallon sprayer with the standard cone tip. I mixed the stuff and went to spray. It started coming out, ok as there was little water left in the line from the last time I used and cleaned the sprayer. Once the water was out of the line, the spray turned almost gel like, so I stopped spraying. WTH is happening? It was 35 degrees out this am. I only mixed up a half gallon of oil and 16 oz of garlon, but I don't want to waste this stuff. Help!

Edit: I was following the advice of the PSU article above from my previous research.

I tried basal spraying today with 4:1 carrier oil and Garlon 4 (generic) and ran into an issue. I'm using a Birchmeier 4 gallon sprayer with the standard cone tip. I mixed the stuff and went to spray. It started coming out, ok as there was little water left in the line from the last time I used and cleaned the sprayer. Once the water was out of the line, the spray turned almost gel like, so I stopped spraying. WTH is happening? It was 35 degrees out this am. I only mixed up a half gallon of oil and 16 oz of garlon, but I don't want to waste this stuff. Help!

Edit: I was following the advice of the PSU article above from my previous research.
What oil did you use?

diesel fuel and dedicated oil spray are oil based, but both are thin free flowing liquids, not thick like bar and chain oil.

What oil did you use?

diesel fuel and dedicated oil spray are oil based, but both are thin free flowing liquids, not thick like bar and chain oil.
Alliagare basal oil. I tested this at home maybe a year ago using a small squirt bottle on a problematic tree in my yard. It worked as expected. I'm not sure why putting it into my Birchmeier caused a problem. Only things I can think of would be temperature or something residual in the tank that it doesn't like. It seems slightly thicker than it should be in the tank. I'm going to drain it in the next day or so to look closer at it.