All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree Tags

Does he have a website? What does the price work out to be on say an order of 100 pieces? What are the oldest tags you have and how do they look now?
No Web site, could email the address on biz card (I don't want to type it out as spammers search forums for printed email address's)

35 cents on a reasonably sized order, I'm sure 100 is plenty. Obviously he wouldn't want to sell just a few at a time. I'd shoot him a email to ask, I know they sell lots of stuff on etsy but I'm the only tree dork customer he has so far

My oldest tags are going on 5 years and still look new. I expected them to fade but so far not at all.

I made my tags out of aluminum flashing that comes in a roll for about $6 at Home Depot. I've made dozens of tags from that roll ( upwards of 100 tags ) for apples, crabs, shrubs, pears, etc. I have an engraver, so I put the variety, rootstock, and year planted on each tag. I tie them on with insulated #12 copper wire - won't rust and corrode. I have about $10 in these tags and still have more aluminum flashing to make more if needed.

I also made a map of all our trees at camp 4 years ago with those same varieties and locations. I made several copies and put them in a 3-ring binder along with all of our habitat improvements, food plot info, successful seed mixes, tree success, etc. so the camp has all that info for the future. I update the maps as necessary.

A lot of good ideas here. I double tag all my trees. One vinyl siding tag wrote on with China Marker, and one Impresso Tag. Nothing worst than having a tree without a tag. :emoji_face_palm:

Dose anyone worry about the Cooper wire killing trees? I like that it's easy to use but some people use a few pounds of copper nails to kill trees (lake homes where cutting down a live tree near the Lake is banned by association, I prefer tordon but some swear by copper nails)

nice ideas

Dose anyone worry about the Cooper wire killing trees? I like that it's easy to use but some people use a few pounds of copper nails to kill trees (lake homes where cutting down a live tree near the Lake is banned by association, I prefer tordon but some swear by copper nails)
Interesting. I’ve not heard that before. I used copper wire on my cages and for attaching my tags to the cage. It’s not touching the tree or even within two feet of the tree. I’m interested to hear the responses.

A guy I work with told me about using copper nails in trees. He said it'll kill a tree too. I'd imagine as long as the copper isn't touching the tree it should be fine.

I bought a cheap metal punch set off Amazon and a bag of aluminum dog tag style blanks and I'm really happy. They are very strong and I think they will last as long as the tree. I would recommend metal if possible because plastic gets brittle over time when exposed to the elements.

To answer the question about copper wire killing trees - I tie my tags on the cages, not the trees. I've had a copper wire in my back-yard pear tree for over 10 years and it hasn't hurt the tree at all. I put it there to allow my wife to hang a flowering basket from a limb. Will the wire eventually kill the tree ?? Who knows. That tree's coming down anyway - too big for the space.

I don't know if it works on all trees but I've seen copper nails pounded into the cut ends/stumps of yard trees around here successfully put the tree to sleep for good.

I just use some old electric fence wire to attach my tree tags to the tree. I've used copper wire in the past though without any issues.

Here is more info on those laser plastic tags.....

They are still $0.35 each with a $5 setup charge per entire order regardless of qty. they now have a grommet on the tag which is nice. Multiple different colors as well to choose from.

CEDD3899-26FA-4C90-A788-C2FD83A675F8.jpeg

Bob & Lorie Zelle

wblmemoriez@gmail.com

Last edited:
Is that a $5/ tag set up fee or $5 per the order set up fee?

*per order setup fee

I might order some of those

Here is what I did.
93c728a350ddb9bace8d39255b690244.jpg

6adf6bece3a9e4b073f6995d10975219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use these tree tags.
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Plant-Outdoor-Marker-Labels/dp/B00TQQ5IFQ
They last over 20 years. All mine have. Soft aluminum that can be written on with a ball point pen. I write Variety Name, Rootstock, Year Planted, and Harvest Time (early-/mid-/late-Month) like this "Macoun/M7 2005 R. Late Sept". Place on cage or low limb.

I also make an orchard map. I use AutoCAD, but any large piece of paper would work and tack it up in the woodshop or garage, out of the way. Nowadays maybe there's and app for that. Actually, having it on your phone until you memorize all the trees is a good idea.

I ordered these tags, thanks for the recommendation!

I should have ordered those aluminum tags, but this system works better if you pound on concrete instead of wood.
55c89e746113acb2f1850dbd8c87f64d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk