All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree Tags

Charles Clear

5 year old buck +
Does anyone tag their trees? I've been looking at getting some type of metal tags for my trees to identify them. I remember them all now, but I've only been at it a few years. Sometimes, I forget why I walked into a room! LOL I imagine in 10 years or more, I wont' remember what I planted and where it was planted.

I just made these. I went to my local hobby lobby store and bought these aluminum bands that kids make jewelry bracelets out of. I stamped them with a metal stamp and put them on all my cages. I don’t know how important it is but they’re new tres and it will be nice to see which ones perform best a few years from now.

CE11A219-D6E9-442D-8E30-FDD5395DE8A7.jpeg57D2C624-B3FF-4ADF-93AB-4244F88D6EBD.jpegAC34709E-7481-4BB7-A77D-846E2FEC1685.png

Very nice!! Exactly what I was looking for

I just made these. I went to my local hobby lobby store and bought these aluminum bands that kids make jewelry bracelets out of. I stamped them with a metal stamp and put them on all my cages. I don’t know how important it is but they’re new tres and it will be nice to see which ones perform best a few years from now.

View attachment 17699View attachment 17700View attachment 17701

That is nice. I use the type you write on but they are metal over a paper interior and mine have not held up well. Personally, I think it is very important to tag the trees. For a lot of reason, but to me the most important is that I hope mine are there after I am gone and someone will want to know what they are :)

What type of “stamp” did you use. Is the stamp from the hobby lobby store too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

never underestimate the ingenuity of our members........

bill

I use these tree tags.
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Plant-Outdoor-Marker-Labels/dp/B00TQQ5IFQ
They last over 20 years. All mine have. Soft aluminum that can be written on with a ball point pen. I write Variety Name, Rootstock, Year Planted, and Harvest Time (early-/mid-/late-Month) like this "Macoun/M7 2005 R. Late Sept". Place on cage or low limb.

I also make an orchard map. I use AutoCAD, but any large piece of paper would work and tack it up in the woodshop or garage, out of the way. Nowadays maybe there's and app for that. Actually, having it on your phone until you memorize all the trees is a good idea.

I buy the blank aluminum tree tags from forestry supply, they are pretty cheap by the 100. I scratch the name, rootstock and year grafted/planted into the surface with any type of metal point (a nail works). They are 5 years old and holding up great, I suspect they will last at least another decade or more.

Oh and I number my trees as well (as prof Kent describes) and catalog them on paper. I think this is a great way to provide duplication of the info. I have found though that permanent marker on tree pro tree tubes does NOT last more than a few months without fading so make sure you're using something more durable than "permanent" marker.

That is nice. I use the type you write on but they are metal over a paper interior and mine have not held up well. Personally, I think it is very important to tag the trees. For a lot of reason, but to me the most important is that I hope mine are there after I am gone and someone will want to know what they are :)

What type of “stamp” did you use. Is the stamp from the hobby lobby store too?

Yes - I just used a 1/8 inch metal stamp set and a small hammer.

I have used a dremel tool to etch the info into pieces of old, painted aluminum siding.

You wont regret taking the time to make tags and mark them, you will definitely regret not taking the time to mark and record them. Nice job.

I use these tree tags.
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Plant-Outdoor-Marker-Labels/dp/B00TQQ5IFQ
They last over 20 years. All mine have. Soft aluminum that can be written on with a ball point pen. I write Variety Name, Rootstock, Year Planted, and Harvest Time (early-/mid-/late-Month) like this "Macoun/M7 2005 R. Late Sept". Place on cage or low limb.

I also make an orchard map. I use AutoCAD, but any large piece of paper would work and tack it up in the woodshop or garage, out of the way. Nowadays maybe there's and app for that. Actually, having it on your phone until you memorize all the trees is a good idea.

I hate to burst anyone’s bubble, but those are the exact ones that I noted above that have not held up well for me.

I hate to burst anyone’s bubble, but those are the exact ones that I noted above that have not held up well for me.

Ha - noted. Order is now cancelled. Thanks for heads up. Will send the wife on a Hobby Lobby run.

Ha - noted. Order is now cancelled. Thanks for heads up. Will send the wife on a Hobby Lobby run.

As I think about it - if Prof. Kent’s tags have lasted 20 years chances are the ones I got 3-4 years ago may be made differently.

Here is my favorite. @ 35 cents each I'm so happy I ordered 200 more this year. Plastic tags Lazer engraved. Will never rot ou become unreadable like what happens to trap tags20180409_194341.jpg1523321321574476106232.jpg

Some from last year- note my fat fingers messed my the rootstock name.

He's not a tree expert so what you type is what he'll engrave.

I also have tags made with dnr customer number and such for on my trail cams and stands left on public land per Wisconsin rules. They look so official with dnr# the highlight of the tags, that no one steels my cams anymore

For now I just zip tie or wire to a branch, can't wait till my trees are big enough to screw the tags onto trunk. Some have been out for 5 years and still look like new. 20180126_101415.jpg

Can he do writing on the backside of them too?

Can he do writing on the backside of them too?
I kinda doubt it, it's like 2 layers of plastic, the Lazer removes top plastic showing the under color. He can make bigger if needed, different font size ect.. then again maybe he has another type of material available. my tree stand tags are like 6x10 inches. Zip tied to bottom of platform to be easily read from ground (if not in much cover). The Lazer can even engrave on metal or glass, cut puzzles and all kinds of stuff

Does he have a website? What does the price work out to be on say an order of 100 pieces? What are the oldest tags you have and how do they look now?

Thanks for the info.

I bought an engraver off of amazon this winter to make tags, now just don't know what to make the tags out of. I like putting down the name, what nursery it came from(or when it was grafted), plant date(like spring '18) and rootstock.