Tree stand cables to chains

Tap

5 year old buck +
I'm not sure if I ever posted this before but it's such a no-brainer so I thought I'd post again.
I see no reason for lock-on style treestand to use cables to support the platform. They can rust and weaken and they aren't adjustable to accommodate tree lean unless you install turnbuckles.
I've converted mine to chains. They will last forever and the angle of the platform can be adjusted by choosing the proper link for the quick connect.
92ce0306d0880ae8b1d61523e296b0bb.jpg

SW Pa

First thought I had when looking at pic was the use of a caribiner clip to attach chain to stand. I'd suggest replacing the caribiner with a shackle or sometimes called a "D' ring. I would think those would have more strength and still be adjustable. Just a suggestion.

I always think of doing that to a couple of stands to level the platforms and then forget until its time to hang stands again and by then I am in too big of a hurry to take them home and make the changes.

I always think of doing that to a couple of stands to level the platforms and then forget until its time to hang stands again and by then I am in too big of a hurry to take them home and make the changes.
Now is the time of the year to do stand maintenance...do as I say and not as I do (I was switching to chains in September).

SW Pa

First thought I had when looking at pic was the use of a caribiner clip to attach chain to stand. I'd suggest replacing the caribiner with a shackle or sometimes called a "D' ring. I would think those would have more strength and still be adjustable. Just a suggestion.
I'll look into those.
I did consider the weight rating of my carabiners before I chose them. I think the stand had a 300 pound rating. These carabiners were rated at 180 pounds...times 2 exceeds the original stand rating. Am I correct on my engineering and physics? I'm assuming each carabiner only needs to support half my weight since there are 2 per platform.
I appreciate your observation. Thanks.
I will reevaluate that part of my design. I do contend that chain is far better than cable. Even a chain that's bolted or welded on each end (not adjustable) is safer than cable. But I like being able to adjust for tree lean.

Everyone reading this...DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK AND MAKE 100% CERTAIN THAT THE CONNECTORS YOU CHOOSE TO USE ARE ADEQUATE. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! SAFETY FIRST!!

SW Pa

what size/type chain is that?

Not talking about the straps that go around the tree. I'm talking about replacing the cables that support the platform.

SW Pa

what size/type chain is that?
I'm not sure what size it is marketed as, but here's a pic of what I used. I chose the shortest link stuff I could find because it would give more links to choose from when leveling the platform. The weight rating is plenty strong enough.
I coated it with rubber dip...but after I had it on each stand. If I had it to do over, I would coat the entire chain and then cut it to individual lengths.

d03775e0bd47f6fe279d493b170938a3.jpg

SW Pa

I like this. I know the Family Traditions stands that Sturgis likes use coated cables to support the base. If that part goes it wont matter if your ratchet straps are still on the tree. You will be on the ground!

Here is what I'm replacing. For any of you that haven't made your platforms able to be leveled, you are missing the boat. The old Screaming Eagle (best stands ever IMO) came with the turnbuckle option. I copied the cocept for my El cheapo stands, but you can see what's happening to the stock cable. So I decided to convert them to chain. Works great, but as I said earlier, make 100% certain that your connectors are strong enough!

65ee9de4866183075f4ddd5a212c146d.jpg

cc21655cc9dd9e6e1a3a2db4ed756cc7.jpg

SW Pa

If you could level side to side I would be jumping up and down. I got a couple leaners that need to be wedged up there in the exact location they face. Slight slant. Not a deal breaker unless you stand for 4 hours in the rut.
I am not good at sitting. I feel like I am behind the 8 ball right away.

I hear ya. I guess there are some very expensive stands on the market that can go in any tree. But I've never bought one. My adjustment design is better than NO adjustment though. Better than rusty cables, too.

SW Pa

Make sure your connectors are going to fit through the chain links before you buy a bunch of chain. Been there, done that on some other projects!

Make sure your connectors are going to fit through the chain links before you buy a bunch of chain. Been there, done that on some other projects!
Yep, that's another reason I ended up with those sized carabiners.

SW Pa

I hear ya. I guess there are some very expensive stands on the market that can go in any tree. But I've never bought one. My adjustment design is better than NO adjustment though. Better than rusty cables, too.

SW Pa

I wasnt cutting it down. I think its a great idea and a nice reminder to all of us.

Tap if you use chain make sure you buy quality chain made in the USA. I trap and bought the chain from trapping Supply place. The chain was made in a foreign country. I started checking the links and a lot of the welds were crap and not holding any thing. Also you said your connectors were rated at 180 pounds x 2 giving you a rating way over 300 pounds. What happens if you shift to one side of platform and most of your weight is being transferred to only one of the connectors. Good idea but maybe use a little heavier connectors and make sure you use quality chain. I would hate hearing about you taking an express trip to the ground. I drove semi for over 30 years hauling steel and dealt with chains, binders, hooks and connectors and they do fail. I knew two truck drivers that trusted chains too much, both drivers fell off trailers while binding down loads. One driver died on scene and the other was paralyzed for life.

I'll look into those.
I did consider the weight rating of my carabiners before I chose them. I think the stand had a 300 pound rating. These carabiners were rated at 180 pounds...times 2 exceeds the original stand rating. Am I correct on my engineering and physics? I'm assuming each carabiner only needs to support half my weight since there are 2 per platform.
I appreciate your observation. Thanks.
I will reevaluate that part of my design. I do contend that chain is far better than cable. Even a chain that's bolted or welded on each end (not adjustable) is safer than cable. But I like being able to adjust for tree lean.

Everyone reading this...DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK AND MAKE 100% CERTAIN THAT THE CONNECTORS YOU CHOOSE TO USE ARE ADEQUATE. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! SAFETY FIRST!!

SW Pa

TAP ... Almost impossible to guarantee that you will have a balanced or centered load between the two. Also note that the load ratings may only be for static loads, are temperature dependent, etc. and not rated for human use.

If I was using these at 22-24' in the air, I would go with "D" that are load rated at twice my weight.

i like this. i have a bunch of old stands that need new hardware. what did you use for the loop bolted to the stand where you attached the snap link?

i plan to use these to attach/adjust the chain.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Covert-1-4-in-Quick-Link-Zinc-Plated/50426984
I ran a new stainless bolt through a single chain link (heavier chain than the one for the platform support) that the stock sized bolt fit through. I have no doubts that part of my st up is adequate. But after reading the above posts, I need to recheck my chain and carabiner for sttength.
I stand by my design. It's better than non adjustable cable...but the materials you guys choose to use is your responsibility.
One more thing...
NEVER STEP ONTO A STAND WITHOUT A SAFETY HARNESS ATTACHED TO THE TREE.
Geeze...I'm just trying to share an idea. I fully appreciate everyones input and sill take it under advisement. But I don't want anyone to alter their stands and have a failure! PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

SW Pa

I considered this after my little scare this past season when I had a cable fail. Hindsight 20/20 you know!

I am sure cable is used today simply as a cost control measure. Todays business world is very competitive and companies are pushed to minimize inputs while maximizing output. As such the cost and weight all favor the use of cables. I see it at my job in the automotive biz everyday. Also consider that our consumer mindset has changed as well in most cases. Things simply are not built or expected to last forever anymore - everything now has a lifespan. Products today are designed and made to meet the requirement and that is all and to spend as little as possible in the process.