All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting Apple Trees

Boone

5 year old buck +
I have 3 trees I would like to move to a new location. All are 5-6' and havent produced yet. Would it be best to dig them up now or wait til spring? Do the temps have to be below freezing?

I would think as long as the leaves have fallen and they are dormant,I have a guy that I get to bring a spade over for a day and he moves trees where ever I like for a cheaper rate.This might be available.I just called the guy and ask him if he was interested in moving some trees on same property and doing it by the hour/He can do around 4-6 trees in an hour.

As long as the tree is dormant you are fine doing it now. Doesn't have to be below freezing. I just moved a tree last weekend. One thing that I would recommend is watering the tree after the transplant, even in the fall when it is cold. This is not so much for the tree but to compact the soil around the root ball to remove air pockets. Air pockets = dead roots. If you do move it this fall just remember to prune the top back a bit late winter to restore the crown to root balance, as for sure you will have some root damage in the process.

Last edited: