Trailcam pics

He’s a good one! 1 and 3.
2’s no slouch.

1 and 3 must be a regular.

Wish I had something to contribute…been a dud so far

Nice start Cat!

I couple more from last night. I always get a kick out of watching them groom each other and pick ticks off their ears. It's amazing to watch them take turns.

Screenshot_20230606_070057_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230606_070045_Gallery.jpg

Catscratch - what state are those deer pictures from? My bucks probably wont get as large as yours, but I figured the antlers down here probably developed a little earlier than farther north - but mine appear to be behind yours. They are just now starting to put out a g2

IMG_8502.png

SwampCat - South Central KS, not far north of OK.
They'll stay in velvet until mid September. I've never shot one in velvet but my youngest has during youth season. I'm considering giving it a shot this fall.

I hunt a lot in Osage county in Ok, prob not too awful far from you. See the velvet bucks every year until mid september. Bow season opens October 1, and never even had a chance at a velvet buck.
On a separate note, how is the pheasant population in your area? I drive up to Concordia and to the west every year to hunt them. Be nice if i could find some good hunting/intel a little closer to home!

I'm near the eastern edge of Cowley Co. So not far from Osage. Pheasants are non-existent here, have to drive west an hour or so to find a pheasant. We have some quail and used to have chickens.
How's the deer where you're hunting? I have a buddy with a place on Grand, and an aunt with a place on Tenkiller. Never saw a deer at either place that had much size. I've known guys that shoot monsters down in OK but I've never see anything nice in the northeastern part of the state.

The ol' Cowley County Tigers, lol. Been up there quite a few times playing/coaching ball. Had a few people telling me that there weren't any pheasants in that area due to a parasite that gets in the eyes of young chicks, causing high mortality rates. There are a few pheasants in Osage county, and west, but not enough to hunt. Last 10 years or so I've been hitting the controlled pheasant hunting areas and paying for the birds. I hate it, but, the birds do bust up perfectly fine, and watching the dogs work is my favorite thing ever, so I don't mind paying. And, still cheaper than driving to South Dakota for 3 birds a day!
I'm very familiar with Grand and Tenkiller areas. It all looks like killer/wooded/hilly deer habitat. Around the Tulsa area is where there is a dividing line running north/south. East is limestone/dark soil, west is red dirt/dust. Thus, the eastern part of the state is called Green country. Deer hunted in green country for 30 yrs, finally went out west to Osage county in the red dirt 10 yrs ago. I've seen bigger bucks, bigger racks from the red dirt for sure. Maybe not as many deer, but better wallhanger possibilities for sure. Some will contest what I'm saying, but take agriculture out of the equation, and it's very true in my experience. For every ying there's a yang tho...the big ones hang out on the tops of the hills, or the prairie, where the blackjacks are. The bowhunting trees are mostly only in the bottoms. It's super hard getting a prairie pope&young under a bowhunting tree!

Last edited:
I've all but given up on bowhunting out of trees, almost exclusively hunt from the ground.
Tell me more about playing/coaching ball? Baseball or basketball?
I feel the same about a good dog. Watching a dog do what they love is better than any other part of the hunt! Unfortunately if there isn't any birds to work the dogs aren't doing what they love.

It was all baseball. My son played on a St. Louis Cardinals sponsored high school traveling team, and they played Juco's all over Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri. After that a few players I knew and coached ended up in Cowley Co, Independance, Labette, Butler, so I've made quite a few ballgames in that area. If memory serves me right, I think it was at Cowley that we had to make a fast exit after a game due to some hit by pitch retaliation, lol. All great times.
I'm hunting on the ground almost exclusively myself after leasing the land I hunt now. Found out I'm not a very good indian! I still have some other hunts where i can get a hang on up, but will only do it if a booner shows up.
Btw, your fields look great right now. Hopefully you'll get enough rain to keep them that way!

I don't have many cams up, mostly security, but have not seen much more than nubs yet.

Dang, your boy must have been pretty good! My youngest plays on a traveling team for basketball. Those clubs can be high level. Juco sports are some of the top programs in the nation. I would put several of them above quite a few D1 programs. To have them on the schedule for a high school team is impressive. I bet it was fun! "hit by pitch retaliation"... LOL

I have way better luck with ladder stands than hang on's with scrubby trees. I have been known to zip-tie cedar branches to the legs and seat to provide enough cover to draw and break up skylining.
For ground hunting I like to build natural blinds. Usually nothing more than some brush with some grass or cedar stuck into the holes. I put them all over the place so I can sneak from one to the next at the drop of hat and adjust to the wind (damn wind changes frequently where I'm at).

Man I’d love to get some of these bucks on cam!
Western UP has turned into a shit show with the severe winters and high predator numbers. At least in my local area. Need to talk to some neighbors and other landowners to see if others are seeing the same thing as me. About 5:1 predator to deer pictures so far since April. Not 1 buck on camera and no fawns yet. I have a minimum of 9 bears using my clover plots pretty much on a daily basis and they are destroying everything in and around the plots. 8 out of 8 cell cameras have been hit, some as many as 5 times. Many trees snapped off, Solar panels and cameras ripped off trees, tree cages destroyed. Never seen anything like this year and I’m getting frustrated. Thinking about nuking everything I’ve planted.

The latest 1st buck picture previously was 5-7. Latest 1st fawn picture previously was 6-3. This year looks like it’s gonna be down year for deer hunting. Lol. Need a couple mild winters and some predator control apparently.

Attachments

• 209F83AD-2946-45DD-9D0C-CD8E83FAD865.png
    209F83AD-2946-45DD-9D0C-CD8E83FAD865.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 0ED44FEF-DF16-4D3E-B67C-9F50287F2264.jpeg
    0ED44FEF-DF16-4D3E-B67C-9F50287F2264.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 30
  • A687F2AA-C056-4C88-A3C2-616BC8EDAF12.png
    A687F2AA-C056-4C88-A3C2-616BC8EDAF12.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Western UP has turned into a shit show with the severe winters and high predator numbers. At least in my local area. Need to talk to some neighbors and other landowners to see if others are seeing the same thing as me. About 5:1 predator to deer pictures so far since April. Not 1 buck on camera and no fawns yet. I have a minimum of 9 bears using my clover plots pretty much on a daily basis and they are destroying everything in and around the plots. 8 out of 8 cell cameras have been hit, some as many as 5 times. Many trees snapped off, Solar panels and cameras ripped off trees, tree cages destroyed. Never seen anything like this year and I’m getting frustrated. Thinking about nuking everything I’ve planted.

The latest 1st buck picture previously was 5-7. Latest 1st fawn picture previously was 6-3. This year looks like it’s gonna be down year for deer hunting. Lol. Need a couple mild winters and some predator control apparently.

Man that is frustrating.. With that many bears around, odds are not good for fawns! They really hammer the fresh ones.

I know they put a hurtin on the fawns. It’s just crazy what’s it’s become. Almost as if there’s higher powers that want out of control predator numbers…. Another thing crazy about this year is they have no fear of me. I can be working 150-200 yards away and they are in my plots. 2 weekends ago I was running my skidsteer and chainsaws in a new 1/2 acre plot I’m creating and had bears in the clover 140 yards away.
I don’t bear hunt, to many irons in the fire as it is right now, but if someone on here were to get or have a bear tag for the western UP, I’d be happy to put someone in a stand.

Ugh. There’s comes a point where you almost want to take matters into your own hands when it becomes that dire. It’s like the state has total disregard for the resource

Ugh. There’s comes a point where you almost want to take matters into your own hands when it becomes that dire. It’s like the state has total disregard for the resource
I agree. I’m starting to work on plans to build a new house at my 120 acres so there’s many things that will be easier when I can walk right out my door. Right now I’m 50 minutes away. Hopefully start the build in the next 2-3 years.

Anyway, not trying to hi-jack this thread, just venting. Keep the buck pics coming!

I know they put a hurtin on the fawns. It’s just crazy what’s it’s become. Almost as if there’s higher powers that want out of control predator numbers…. Another thing crazy about this year is they have no fear of me. I can be working 150-200 yards away and they are in my plots. 2 weekends ago I was running my skidsteer and chainsaws in a new 1/2 acre plot I’m creating and had bears in the clover 140 yards away.
I don’t bear hunt, to many irons in the fire as it is right now, but if someone on here were to get or have a bear tag for the western UP, I’d be happy to put someone in a stand.
If I knew how to get a bear tag, or if it was over the counter I'd be there in a heartbeat to help!!!

Building on our land and moving out here was the best thing we've ever done. You'll absolutely love it (and congrats)! I'm constantly watching deer from the house. In fact the pics I've posted so far were taken at the house with my phone... last week. Good luck with the build, and taking care of your predator problem.