Trail cam for Dummies

I'm using Duracell's... one of the worst ones if I read your chart right. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm using Duracell's... one of the worst ones if I read your chart right. Thanks for the info!

Ya, Duracell’s “long lasting” claim on those is actually referencing shelf life..... not amp hours

They run a very old manganese-dioxide chemistry on those. Very stable chemistry, but horribly inefficient as far as energy density.

As long as you don’t run an absolute ton of cameras, the lithium really do pay for themselves in lifetime and the hassle free aspect. Also, the consistently higher amperage results in much better motion circuit function, faster white balancing of the image, and a stronger flash. It is like every picture is taken at full battery... which is the actual amperage the circuits boards are designed to work at.

A hunting buddy of mine runs almost 60 of the browning dark ops cameras, so he has decided to forego the lithium price jump. I don’t blame him. That would be about $650 a year for batteries!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 Dark Ops and he can't swing reliable batteries that equal in cost about 3-4 cams?!

60 Dark Ops and he can't swing reliable batteries that equal in cost about 3-4 cams?!

We both run cameras exclusively on public land with no food plots, and no baiting/minerals. Aside from a very few locations, a high quality energizer alkaline will last from half way through velvet, until antlers drop. Since that’s as long as either of us let the cameras go without replacing batteries, he doesn’t see the need to pay 2.5 times the price for the higher amperages. I can’t say I blame him, but I like knowing each of my cameras is performing at its absolute peak.

They are an expensive investment for me, and I only own 6 of them. So, if one fails, it may mean 5-8 months without intel for me as that’s how long I typically let them sit. I sometimes only put 1-2 cameras out on a property in only the absolutely best locations, and primarily only for historic data. I’ll use this year’s pictures to narrow down the best temperature, or weather patterns, or rut timing for a specific location. He does the same, but 1 or 2 having problems out of 60 is not that big of a loss.

We both run cameras exclusively on public land with no food plots, and no baiting/minerals. Aside from a very few locations, a high quality energizer alkaline will last from half way through velvet, until antlers drop. Since that’s as long as either of us let the cameras go without replacing batteries, he doesn’t see the need to pay 2.5 times the price for the higher amperages. I can’t say I blame him, but I like knowing each of my cameras is performing at its absolute peak.

They are an expensive investment for me, and I only own 6 of them. So, if one fails, it may mean 5-8 months without intel for me as that’s how long I typically let them sit. I sometimes only put 1-2 cameras out on a property in only the absolutely best locations, and primarily only for historic data. I’ll use this year’s pictures to narrow down the best temperature, or weather patterns, or rut timing for a specific location. He does the same, but 1 or 2 having problems out of 60 is not that big of a loss.

That's a lot of camera experience! Is the Dark Opps the best performer for you guys, or just the best at a certain cost point?

I can't answer that very well. Seems Dark Ops can be any 1 of several different models, spanning low/mid 100s into the low 200s. I haven't researched what makes them different. I did pick up a '19 Dark Ops HD Pro X w/ a 32 GB card today on Amazon for 169. It's a Christmas gift for my dad lol. That particular model rates really high from the trailcampro guys.

That's a lot of camera experience! Is the Dark Opps the best performer for you guys, or just the best at a certain cost point?

Best bang for the buck. He has run some more expensive cameras, from exodus to reconyx, but on public land you have to hedge for theft. A $120-140ish camera being stolen is a lot easier to handle than a $300+. Also, you can deploy almost 3 Browning’s for the price of a reconyx, and still with great quality images. If you need super perfect images/video for a TV series or something then go higher end. If you are using it for intel for hunting, browning is MORE than adequate.

I can't answer that very well. Seems Dark Ops can be any 1 of several different models, spanning low/mid 100s into the low 200s. I haven't researched what makes them different. I did pick up a '19 Dark Ops HD Pro X w/ a 32 GB card today on Amazon for 169. It's a Christmas gift for my dad lol. That particular model rates really high from the trailcampro guys.

He and I both have dark ops models that span from the 2015 BTC-6HD up through the the 2019 HD pros...

The only model he has had real problems with was the 2018 HDPRO version. I did not buy that cycle so I don’t have first hand knowledge, but I believe he had issues with 3 or 4 of the 5/6 he purchased. Every other model has been as regular as an old Cassio watch.

For an idea on quality, here are a couple examples of videos on 2016, 2017, and 2018 models black ops

2016 dark ops elite:

2016 dark ops elite:

2018 dark ops extreme:

2017 Dark Ops 940:

Edited to correct YouTube url^

Last edited:

Best bang for the buck. He has run some more expensive cameras, from exodus to reconyx, but on public land you have to hedge for theft. A $120-140ish camera being stolen is a lot easier to handle than a $300+. Also, you can deploy almost 3 Browning’s for the price of a reconyx, and still with great quality images. If you need super perfect images/video for a TV series or something then go higher end. If you are using it for intel for hunting, browning is MORE than adequate.

He and I both have dark ops models that span from the 2015 BTC-6HD up through the the 2019 HD pros...

The only model he has had real problems with was the 2018 HDPRO version. I did not buy that cycle so I don’t have first hand knowledge, but I believe he had issues with 3 or 4 of the 5/6 he purchased. Every other model has been as regular as an old Cassio watch.

For an idea on quality, here are a couple examples of videos on 2016, 2017, and 2018 models black ops

2016 dark ops elite:

2016 dark ops elite:

2017 Dark Ops 940:

2018 dark ops extreme:

Many pics of deer looking at the camera?

2016 dark ops elite:

2016 dark ops elite:

2017 Dark Ops 940:

2018 dark ops extreme:

Many pics of deer looking at the camera?

Almost none...
I typically set cams up 10-12 feet high to reduce theft and avoid flooding losses (I hunt a lot of floodplain). The only time I have deer pay attention to the camera is when it is chest high or lower.
I think the black flash is critical for this.

I had well over 10,000 pictures on a set of batteries in my Browning camera, and 11 months. This camera is a security camera that point down my driveway, and it catches every car that drove by. I changed the batteries out, even though they were still working, just on low.

Never done the dark ops. The 2016 Browning BTC5HDE is the best trail cam of all time, price considered. I get a year on my batteries, most of the time, sometimes over 20,000 images. I use el cheapo AC Delco AA's off Amazon. Yea, mine would last longer with lithium, but it's not like I'm not going to pull the cards in a year...

Never done the dark ops. The 2016 Browning BTC5HDE is the best trail cam of all time, price considered. I get a year on my batteries, most of the time, sometimes over 20,000 images. I use el cheapo AC Delco AA's off Amazon. Yea, mine would last longer with lithium, but it's not like I'm not going to pull the cards in a year...

The dark ops is just their black flash variant of the strike force camera you mention. The only thing changed is flash bulbs, IR filter, and some tweaking on the exposure algorithms in the camera. Slightly higher price for the black flash, but they are the same exact “class” of camera.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Santa brought me a Browning Strike Force Extreme for Christmas. Really easy to set-up and got some nice pictures of the birdfeeder yesterday as I was playing with it. :emoji_slight_smile:
IMG-0011.jpg

Now to set it up in the Back 40 in search of Big Foot. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Thanks for all the comments guys. Santa brought me a Browning Strike Force Extreme for Christmas. Really easy to set-up and got some nice pictures of the birdfeeder yesterday as I was playing with it. :emoji_slight_smile:
IMG-0011.jpg

Now to set it up in the Back 40 in search of Big Foot. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

That is a nice bear feeder, how do you get birds to eat from it? :)

That's great, glad you got one!

IMG-0011.jpg

I just want to point out some aspects of this picture that really show the quality of the exposure and white balance algorithms browning has.

You have a shaded porch, with an indirect sunlight background (looks like possible cloud cover), and it seems the sun is in the foreground. The combination of these three things typically wreak havoc on a picture.

Everything under the porch is only a little dark and still has plenty of detail, at the same time the background in the right of the frame isn’t blown out bright, and the sunlight in the top left (coming through the lattice) wasn’t allowed to be the deciding factor in the picture setting.

This is close to a worst case setup for picture quality, and it handled it without a problem!

Sorry.... the photographer in me geeked out a little.

Thanks guys!

Just ordered two dark ops for free with my Cabelas bucks. I run buckeye cams but need something that doesn’t stick out so much. These will be hidden with old shed antlers in front of them. Time to catch the #$&#@@& that’s been pinching my sheds.