All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tractor Planting help

Yarg

5 year old buck +
I have been planting bare-root seedlings with a shovel and like to make a bigger hole as a lot of the bare roots are of good size..
I do have access to both a rear PTO driven tractor for use of an auger and also small backhoe.. just wondering of those of you that tried either..
I know the hole should not be over doug to prevent seedlings from sinking..so with the backhoe it would just be a basic scraping back and forth and with the auger there would be a marker used to prevent that.
Any experience...thanks

I've planted trees with a tractor 2 different ways; auger the hole, and use the front bucket to "scoop and mound". Both worked well but I seem to like planting on the mound a little better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've done it both ways. I'm using a 12 auger and it works great, but unless I have a lot to plant I won't mess with hooking up the auger and just scrape off the sod of with the backhoe. I'm using a 24 inch bucket so it does leave kind of a mess around the hole. Not sure what kind of soil you have but I'm dealing with very sandy soil so I usually try to shake the top soil out of the sod to back fill the hole.

I have been planting bare-root seedlings with a shovel and like to make a bigger hole as a lot of the bare roots are of good size..
I do have access to both a rear PTO driven tractor for use of an auger and also small backhoe.. just wondering of those of you that tried either..
I know the hole should not be over doug to prevent seedlings from sinking..so with the backhoe it would just be a basic scraping back and forth and with the auger there would be a marker used to prevent that.
Any experience...thanks

You should clarify what you are planting ... there are 1,2 & 3 year old seedlings, then 2 yr and 3 yr transplants all very different in root development and size.

You should clarify what you are planting ... there are 1,2 & 3 year old seedlings, then 2 yr and 3 yr transplants all very different in root development and size.
Mainly 1 year old br seedlings.

It makes a difference what kind of trees they are. Pine/spruce seedlings I just use a dibble and heal them in and have never had bad results. Fruit trees are a lot fussier and need more attention during and after planting.

Mainly 1 year old br seedlings.

Using a backhoe to plant 1 year old seedlings seems like overkill to me. I understand what you're saying, but getting on and off the tractor, moving the tractor, using the backhoe using the auger...I think you'll be faster and more efficient and do a better job with your shovel or dibble bar.

I use a hand held 8" power auger every year for my bare root seedling and it works great. The tractor auger should work very well. I agree that the back hoe is overkill.

I have used tree spud/dibble bar, shovel, post hole digger, Earhtquake hand auger, & tractor post hole digger.

For 1 yr old seedlings most efficient is a tree spud or dibble bar. Makes the right size hole and assures great root to soil contact. I use a notched push stick to assure roots are down deep before re-compressing soil.

Like Spud said just make sure the roots don’t J hook before compressing the soil

The dibble works well

Last year ,I bought a wolverine tree spade that i learned about from Cavey on another thread

The dibble bar is retired now

bill