Tractor Planting help

Yarg

5 year old buck +
I have been planting bare-root seedlings with a shovel and like to make a bigger hole as a lot of the bare roots are of good size..
I do have access to both a rear PTO driven tractor for use of an auger and also small backhoe.. just wondering of those of you that tried either..
I know the hole should not be over doug to prevent seedlings from sinking..so with the backhoe it would just be a basic scraping back and forth and with the auger there would be a marker used to prevent that.
Any experience...thanks

I've planted trees with a tractor 2 different ways; auger the hole, and use the front bucket to "scoop and mound". Both worked well but I seem to like planting on the mound a little better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've done it both ways. I'm using a 12 auger and it works great, but unless I have a lot to plant I won't mess with hooking up the auger and just scrape off the sod of with the backhoe. I'm using a 24 inch bucket so it does leave kind of a mess around the hole. Not sure what kind of soil you have but I'm dealing with very sandy soil so I usually try to shake the top soil out of the sod to back fill the hole.

I have been planting bare-root seedlings with a shovel and like to make a bigger hole as a lot of the bare roots are of good size..
I do have access to both a rear PTO driven tractor for use of an auger and also small backhoe.. just wondering of those of you that tried either..
I know the hole should not be over doug to prevent seedlings from sinking..so with the backhoe it would just be a basic scraping back and forth and with the auger there would be a marker used to prevent that.
Any experience...thanks

You should clarify what you are planting ... there are 1,2 & 3 year old seedlings, then 2 yr and 3 yr transplants all very different in root development and size.

You should clarify what you are planting ... there are 1,2 & 3 year old seedlings, then 2 yr and 3 yr transplants all very different in root development and size.
Mainly 1 year old br seedlings.

It makes a difference what kind of trees they are. Pine/spruce seedlings I just use a dibble and heal them in and have never had bad results. Fruit trees are a lot fussier and need more attention during and after planting.

Mainly 1 year old br seedlings.

Using a backhoe to plant 1 year old seedlings seems like overkill to me. I understand what you're saying, but getting on and off the tractor, moving the tractor, using the backhoe using the auger...I think you'll be faster and more efficient and do a better job with your shovel or dibble bar.

I use a hand held 8" power auger every year for my bare root seedling and it works great. The tractor auger should work very well. I agree that the back hoe is overkill.

I have used tree spud/dibble bar, shovel, post hole digger, Earhtquake hand auger, & tractor post hole digger.

For 1 yr old seedlings most efficient is a tree spud or dibble bar. Makes the right size hole and assures great root to soil contact. I use a notched push stick to assure roots are down deep before re-compressing soil.

Like Spud said just make sure the roots don’t J hook before compressing the soil

The dibble works well

Last year ,I bought a wolverine tree spade that i learned about from Cavey on another thread

The dibble bar is retired now

bill