Tool'n Knife Builds

Finished up a couple more mini hunters today. Both have 1095 blades, one etched and stone washed the other sanded then vibratory tumbled in ceramic media. Both have oak pins, one is quarter sawn sycamore the other antler. Big thanks goes out to Chris (B116757) for the sycamore. They each have drop in sheaths. These mini hunters have really caught on. I can hardly make them fast enough. The pics don't do either of them justice.
20240302_134705.jpg20240302_134725.jpg20240302_134742.jpg

Lookin good!

I know you guys would get tired if I post every knife I make, but I had to post this one. I took it to a show last weekend as a work in progress. The blade was heat treated, the antler drilled for the handle and the wood guard fit to the tang but nothing more. One guy fell in love and had to have it. We exchanged contact info and I finished it up today. He pick it up not long ago and loved it. 20240304_190955.jpg20240321_133219.jpg20240321_133300.jpg

I know you guys would get tired if I post every knife I make, but I had to post this one. I took it to a show last weekend as a work in progress. The blade was heat treated, the antler drilled for the handle and the wood guard fit to the tang but nothing more. One guy fell in love and had to have it. We exchanged contact info and I finished it up today. He pick it up not long ago and loved it. View attachment 63312View attachment 63310View attachment 63311
That's a cool knife all the way around!
Post all of them! I won't get tired of them for certain!

I tried a new blade finish last week. It's called a forge or blacksmith finish. I really liked how it turned out, so did someone else as it was the first to go at this weekends show.

20240416_130747.jpg

Does that finish tarnish if you put it away wet?

Remember the root Burl I showed a while back? Well I made another knife using it as a handle. SS chefs that my wife laid claim to. Don't blame her as the handle is something else. I asked her if someone offered $500 for it would she sell, she said no. Then I asked what about $1000 she said SOLD. Don't blame her I would sell it to is someone offered that much.20230824_192551.jpg
20240430_150325.jpg20240430_150352.jpg

Attachments

• 20230824_192551.jpg
    20230824_192551.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 6
That's beautiful. Nicely done. I've been watching a large burl grow on the side of a cherry tree for a number of years. Would you assume it would have good solid, figured wood in it?

That's beautiful. Nicely done. I've been watching a large burl grow on the side of a cherry tree for a number of years. Would you assume it would have good solid, figured wood in it?
I've cut apart many burls. Every one has had a void in it.

That is sweet.

Remember the root Burl I showed a while back? Well I made another knife using it as a handle. SS chefs that my wife laid claim to. Don't blame her as the handle is something else. I asked her if someone offered $500 for it would she sell, she said no. Then I asked what about $1000 she said SOLD. Don't blame her I would sell it to is someone offered that much.View attachment 64220
View attachment 64218View attachment 64219

Would be great to see you post pics or video of how you selected cutting of the burl and then processing to a handle.

Would be great to see you post pics or video of how you selected cutting of the burl and then processing to a handle.
I didn't take and pics or do a video of cutting it up. I can tell you it was a PITA and will explain how I went about it. First of all with it being such a goofy shape I tried to figure the best spot to get a flat side. Looking at it I could tell where there maybe voids so I took that into consideration. I have a 10" compound miter saw and the burl was larger than what the saw would cut in one pass. Since there was no way to clamp the burl down I positioned it and held by hand making the cut very slowly. Once I got a flat edge it was easier to hold in place but I still couldn't get a complete cut. So I'd cut off a 3/8" slab as far as I could. Then it was a hand saw to finish the cut. Let me tell you, that was a workout as this thing was hard. Again holding by hand as there was not way to gt an edge to clamp onto. It was then the same process for the next slab. When I hit a void I'd study it again and try to come up with the best spot to get as many usable pieces as possible. Just about every piece had to be finish cut with a hand saw. I bet I have 4 hours cutting this thing up. Here's what was salvageable. All these will be made into kitchen knives for my wife.
20240501_093207.jpg

I didn't take and pics or do a video of cutting it up. I can tell you it was a PITA and will explain how I went about it. First of all with it being such a goofy shape I tried to figure the best spot to get a flat side. Looking at it I could tell where there maybe voids so I took that into consideration. I have a 10" compound miter saw and the burl was larger than what the saw would cut in one pass. Since there was no way to clamp the burl down I positioned it and held by hand making the cut very slowly. Once I got a flat edge it was easier to hold in place but I still couldn't get a complete cut. So I'd cut off a 3/8" slab as far as I could. Then it was a hand saw to finish the cut. Let me tell you, that was a workout as this thing was hard. Again holding by hand as there was not way to gt an edge to clamp onto. It was then the same process for the next slab. When I hit a void I'd study it again and try to come up with the best spot to get as many usable pieces as possible. Just about every piece had to be finish cut with a hand saw. I bet I have 4 hours cutting this thing up. Here's what was salvageable. All these will be made into kitchen knives for my wife.
View attachment 64221

You just described every issue I have thought about with dealing with a piece like this. I have several pieces of burls that I want to start working with. Going to have to study then to see how best to cut them down.

How thick did you cut the pieces down to?