Tool'n Knife Builds

Looks good Tooln! Need any more locust?
What about that pelt... did you tan it?
I love locust and would surely take some more. The pelt my wife got from a guy we use to work with. He trapped the cat and had someone tan it for him. My wife thought the knives would look good on it in the pics & she was right.

How are you doing for burl? I've got a big maple burl to harvest this summer. I could cut you a few blanks if you're interested.
Burls are hard to come by, so I'd be interested.

Burls are hard to come by, so I'd be interested.

Cool. I'll try to send them over to you in late summer or early fall.

I'll message you in May or June to find out what dimensions you want them cut to.

I love locust and would surely take some more. The pelt my wife got from a guy we use to work with. He trapped the cat and had someone tan it for him. My wife thought the knives would look good on it in the pics & she was right.
Definitely a nice presentation with the fur as a background! I was squaring up some locust a couple of weeks ago but got distracted and put the project down. I'll try to get ya some more sometime. Never really know when that will be though.

Another nice look Tooln!!! Seems everything you touch turns out great!
Thanks Cat, I try. Always looking for something different. Far and few between for a handle like this.

Plans were to make this a very patriot knife and paint the sheath Red, White & Blue. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 paints ordered were bad. So here's how it ended up. But the pictures don't do the handle justice different angles have depth to them. This one will go fast.

20240125_150914.jpg20240125_150930.jpg

Oh man, that is slick. What do you charge for something like that?
I had it on the table at the show this weekend for 175. It's a stainless blade so it is higher priced than a high carbon blade. I'd let it go for 150 plus shipping for anyone on the forum. Keep in mind this is a fillet style blade. It's not as thin and flexible like a rapala.

Last edited:
Here's another in process. SS fillet style blade, etched and stone washed. Handle are seashells cast into a clear epoxy. All that's needed is sharpening a sheath and a little more handle hand sanding, currently is up to 2500 grit.

I’ve done a very limited amount of work with antlers. I collected a bunch to use as drawer pulls for a cabinet I was biulding but scrapped the idea after dealing with the smell of machining the first one.

I’ve just used a piece of antler. The smell was bad enough with just doing that. I would say cutting scales would be worse. This was my old filet knife I use for butchering IMG_2060.jpeg

I’ve done a very limited amount of work with antlers. I collected a bunch to use as drawer pulls for a cabinet I was biulding but scrapped the idea after dealing with the smell of machining the first one.
Yes they are VERY nasty smelling when doing any kind of drilling or sanding. That's why I wear a NIOSA approved respirator, with the shop door open some, (even in cold weather) & exhaust fan in window.