tincture

Man Law aside, if I can get my hands on a couple pints of fresh elderberries, I will be trying this with some proofed-down moonshine! The apple pie stuff is the bomb, my wife loves it, so I would think the elderberry tincture thing would work equally as well.;)

Google a remedy called "Drunken Raisins". These are said to aid in arthritis. Basically, you get WHITE raisins, and cover them in vodka for a few days. Then pour off the excess and store the now plump raisins in a jar in the fridge. Take nine per day to treat arthritis. Something about a toxin in the white raisins when triggered by the vodka is released....is said to reduce inflammation (?). Lots of people swear by this.....but I dunno.

Google a remedy called "Drunken Raisins". These are said to aid in arthritis. Basically, you get WHITE raisins, and cover them in vodka for a few days. Then pour off the excess and store the now plump raisins in a jar in the fridge. Take nine per day to treat arthritis. Something about a toxin in the white raisins when triggered by the vodka is released....is said to reduce inflammation (?). Lots of people swear by this.....but I dunno.

Saw plenty of Drunken Raisins/Prunes walking around When I put the Addition on to the Interlachen Country Club in Edina 20 years ago!:eek:

Saw plenty of Drunken Raisins/Prunes walking around When I put the Addition on to the Interlachen Country Club in Edina 20 years ago!:eek:

Just because a prune is wrinkled doesn't mean it won't taste good :eek:

After 9 alcohol fused raisins, it might not matter whether the inflammation is reduced or not, a guy just might not give a d#mn at that point.:p

After 9 alcohol fused raisins, it might not matter whether the inflammation is reduced or not, a guy just might not give a d#mn at that point.:p
Actually....the alcohol 'burns off".....so there are no effects of that sort. ;)

That's what they tell the freshmen college girls about the cherries in the giant jars of clear liquid at the bars downtown as well.;) :D I suppose that if you drain them well, at some point the majority of the alcohol would evaporate off?

Speaking of elderberries I have always wondered if you can use Devil's walking stick berries, aralia spinosa. Wondering if you can use it, is it edible, or are there toxins associated with the berries. If you've ever seen a full size head of berries you would know why I am wondering. Looks just like an elderberry seed head from 50 feet away when you get closer the seed heads are about 18 to 20 inches wide and probably contain three pounds of berries each.

Speaking of elderberries I have always wondered if you can use Devil's walking stick berries, aralia spinosa. Wondering if you can use it, is it edible, or are there toxins associated with the berries. If you've ever seen a full size head of berries you would know why I am wondering. Looks just like an elderberry seed head from 50 feet away when you get closer the seed heads are about 18 to 20 inches wide and probably contain three pounds of berries each.
Those berries are considered toxic to humans, but some sources say they can be eaten in small amounts. Even though it is poisonous it was used to make tinctures back in the day.

After reading this thread, I think you guys are just " shiners " looking for a disease / ailment / complaint to " CURE " !!!! :D:p:p:p

Ok I'm ready for a bunch of ailments, but also made some black cherry syrup for pancakes. Around me the wild cherries and blackberries are now a little past peak for numbers.

DSC01752 (Small).JPG

Ok I'm ready for a bunch of ailments, but also made some black cherry syrup for pancakes. Around me the wild cherries and blackberries are now a little past peak for numbers.

View attachment 6837
Try some of that black cherry syrup on vanilla ice cream. I made some syrup a couple weeks ago from raspberries in my backyard and that's mainly how i've been using it.

Yep, had a little BLC syrup that wasn't gonna fit in the last jar and made a pretty tasty shake with the ice cream. Also put up several more pints of blackberry liqueur today after the above pic to empty out the vodka bottle. Sorry Mo, but got no use for straight vodka. If I'm gonna drink anything straight up its whiskey....

Well maybe a bit of Grey Goose now and then, but other than that, vodka gets a healthy bath of tomato juice, spices, and other condiments on a skewer!;)

Never tried it , but that black cherry and raspberry syrup ( homemade ) sound pretty dang good !! Gotta be great on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc.

Last edited:
There is a "bug" going around the family and just today I started to feel a bit of something slowing me down. Busted out the tincture and took down a spoon full. Hopefully I can fight it off before it takes hold.

I never got a chance to make any with the moonshine for a base this year. The one place I found I could get elderberries wanted $8 a pound and a minimum order of 20 lbs. I needed about 2 quarts worth, not a $160 bucks worth.:(

Repeat dosage as necessary !!! Sore throat, aching back, stomach bug, ear-ache, chills, sore toe, bad day, etc. Also can be used as a PREVENTATIVE !!! :D ( A nip-a-day-keeps-the-doctor-away ?? ) :cool::p

There is a "bug" going around the family and just today I started to feel a bit of something slowing me down. Busted out the tincture and took down a spoon full. Hopefully I can fight it off before it takes hold.

Thanks bueller! Been waiting for a good reason to start drinking tonight. I actually started a while ago but at least I now have a reason! Now I don't feel like a lush drinking alone on a Wednesday night. Michelob Golden Light prevents bugs too......right?

I'm sure it does, just make sure you have enough of them :D