Time to end food plots?

Comments are pretty funny

Comments are pretty funny

As I said, who in their right mind! Everything look like it worked out that time!

i have no idea what the laws are in Wisconsin, but in VA you can trap/Kill coyotes year round...when you get a non target out of season, you release it ....
i'm sure alot of them get released to a hole dug in the ground

Last edited:
Those are great pics! In NW Wisconsin, I agree determine wolf vs. coyote can be super challenging from pictures (but not in real life in my opinion - the wolf makes you want to sh!t the bed in person while the 'yotes are usually scrawny and scared)

Here's a guide I really like: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/42784265183842974/

Personally, I look at the ear shape and how close the eyes are together: pointy ears and close eyes = coyote; rounded ear tops and spread eyes = wolf

I think what is making your pics kind of hard to judge is that the dogs appear to be pretty immature, and there is little in the way of reference for sizing. A wolf is literally 5 TIMES bigger than a coyote, that's why it's so easy in person.

In any case, since there's no money to lose on it, I'm betting all the pics are of young juvenile wolf because of the rounded ears and lack of "cross eyed" look

Stinks having all those doggies especially the ones we can't do anything about. The good news is that your plots look AWESOME. I especially like the pic with the collared wolf.

Sure hope the Great Lakes states wins the battle with the Feds again allowing for hunting seasons for the wolves.

Man, I am becoming discouraged. I am beginning to wonder if I am doing more harm than The deer have NO TIME TO RELAX. This is a VERY SMALL sampling of the pictures we get of these of these hunters.

I have seen a few fawn kills in my plots the past few years. I've been thinking that some of my food plots(especially the ones tucked in by good cover) are becoming ambush plots.

This thread gets me thinking if it would be better to skip planting crops for the summer months in areas with a healthy wolf population. This is when the fawns are more suspectable to predation. You could still plant crops that are attractive for the fall hunting season. On the other hand, what's the difference if the wolves prey on the neighborhood deer in the farm fields or on your property during the summer months.

They have been reported as roadkill and other sightings north, south, east, and west of us. But so far running cameras nearly everyday for several years now we have yet to get a picture of a wolf or a bear.

That sucks!

Easy to say what to do when I don't have to deal with that. But I tend to agree releasing one out of trap would not be something high up on my fun list.

Time to clean out the freezer and dump a few pounds of Xylitol on it.

My idea of wolf release.....

Wolf or Yote SSS is the answer.

good luck trying to trap a wolf. You would have better luck with a wolverine. all the pics are yotes.

They're all coyotes.

Is there much ag in your area? They don't seem to fare well in areas with lots of beef cattle or hound hunters. Neither group seems to tolerate wolf related losses, so the wolf numbers are kept in check. Good deer hunting and a wolf pack do not mix for long.

I would bet an AR 30 round getting emptied about a foot behind him would detour what area he hunts,I think the others are coyotes.Call them while young in spring

Post #13 ......... looks like an escaped stray, feral dog to me. 243 round takes care of strays here !! :D

when you plant a food plot you make food for all critters
its just the way nature works
I would stick with them, all things have to eat every day
My one farm, I would have a 100+ deer in fields and had a TON of coyotes, some days would see 5-6 at a time cruising edges
had high deer numbers there for 20+ yrs, couldn't kill enough deert to bring numbers down, I never shot a coyote there either, I WANTED There help!
in all my yrs there I never seen a coyote go after a deer, cannot count HOW many times I seen both species eating in food plots a few ft from each other and ignoring each other?
was a crazy place
never seen that in other area's

but I think it comes down to food, they had more food and little hunting pressure
1500 acre's of NO hunting surrounded me on 3 sides, other than trespassers sneaking in, the deer numbers went nuts high
and all the cheaters(trespassers ever shot were bucks, making matters worse)
but I hunt a lot of places that have high coyote numbers and still see and get great deer

when you plant a food plot you make food for all critters
its just the way nature works
I would stick with them, all things have to eat every day
My one farm, I would have a 100+ deer in fields and had a TON of coyotes, some days would see 5-6 at a time cruising edges
had high deer numbers there for 20+ yrs, couldn't kill enough deert to bring numbers down, I never shot a coyote there either, I WANTED There help!
in all my yrs there I never seen a coyote go after a deer, cannot count HOW many times I seen both species eating in food plots a few ft from each other and ignoring each other?
was a crazy place
never seen that in other area's

but I think it comes down to food, they had more food and little hunting pressure
1500 acre's of NO hunting surrounded me on 3 sides, other than trespassers sneaking in, the deer numbers went nuts high
and all the cheaters(trespassers ever shot were bucks, making matters worse)
but I hunt a lot of places that have high coyote numbers and still see and get great deer
I live I the mountains of southwest Virginia....around here in the last ten years coyotes have desimated the deer herd.....20 years ago there were no coyotes here.......in the mountain region here in VA. They had cut the deer herd in half.....coyotes are no joke ....they don't take a lot of adults but they get the fawns......and in time it has a cascading effect on the population .....trust me

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk