This Should Be Interesting

Semisane

5 year old buck +
I have a small 1/4 acre plot that's currently a mix of clover/wheat/chicory. Come early March I'm going to hit it with a light mix of Gly to suppress the clover and kill most everything else. A week later I'll broadcast Mung Beans and roll them in with my home made roller/crimper. I'm pretty sure they will grow well because they grew like crazy in a test planting in my home vegetable garden last Spring. It will be interesting to see how hard the deer will hit them. Even if they wipe them out early I'll still have a decent clover plot well into the Summer.

What concentration of Gly (oz. per gallon) would you recommend for this experiment?

47339781481_365f9bfbae_b.jpg

49473878672_e3917bfaf7_c.jpg

41587471712_711f0b118d_c.jpg

Are you spraying with an ATV sprayer or hand pump sprayer?

1 qt per acre if your ATV sprayer is calculated. If using a hand pump sprayer? Depends on how heavy you go spraying. Usually when hand spraying people go way overboard and spray heavy. 3 to 6 oz / gallon of water is recommended for killing weeds with a hand pump sprayer. I’d go really light like 1.5 oz/gallon and don’t over spray.

Clover is pretty tough though.

I might even throw some clover seed into this experiment just in case. Cheap enough...

I've read that mung beans planted in brush piles are a thing in the south.

I always wanted to plant some sort of climbing beans in a wire cage or wire panels to protect the main portion of the plant while allowing the deer to access anything that reached beyond. If timed properly I think they could be a great early season attractant. As long as you can control the weeds. Weed control is the main reason why I haven't done it yet. I'm not going to be pulling weeds by hand in my "deer garden"....thus I just use RR soybeans.

As for gly - I mix at a 2% ratio.