All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This guy will be a tank come November

don

5 year old buck +
I suspect he will be 3 1/2 at that time. Shooter ? Maybe, maybe not for me as I know he would look more impressive in another year or two if he survives that long.
What I do know is he isn't at all impressed with the red glow IR Browning and that was swapped out today for a true black flash model.
No need to bother him needlessly with that trail camera, I'll move it to a more distant location. Click just above the time for a larger screen option.

That's cool. What settings do you set your Brownings to for video? I'm embarrassed to say I've never done video, but feel like now's the time. I'm ready.

Reactions: don
I doubt a quick IR pic would have gotten that reaction. Maybe?

Pretty cool vid though.

I doubt a quick IR pic would have gotten that reaction. Maybe?

Pretty cool vid though.

It wouldn't have in my opinion, probably never would have even noticed the quick blip. I just like to try video from time to time and didn't know he was even around, hopefully he will forget.

That's cool. What settings do you set your Brownings to for video? I'm embarrassed to say I've never done video, but feel like now's the time. I'm ready.

I usually do 20 or 30 second videos depending on the camera. I use the Ultra or highest setting for day video and a much lower setting for night video, usually 8 or less. I usually set my cameras for 15 -20 seconds delay between triggers to catch trailing animals if used on a trail.
Due to being in a positive CWD state (Michigan) we are not allowed to use minerals, salt, or any other type of attractants so my trail cameras are often positioned on small clover plots which was the case in that video.

It wouldn't have in my opinion, probably never would have even noticed the quick blip. I just like to try video from time to time and didn't know he was even around, hopefully he will forget.

Or learn. It didn’t hurt him, so while it was a negative, it wasn’t an arrow in the butt or a nose full of human scent. :)
All depends on his personality.

You really think he's only 3? He's got a saggy gut and other than his neck he's pretty filled out. In any case when November comes and that neck fills out he will look like a GIANT body wise.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to aging a deer so very possibly I am wrong about that. It's very rare for a buck in this part of Michigan to survive more than 3 full hunting seasons but there are exceptions and he could be one.
This was his first appearance in front of one of my trail cameras, hopefully there will be more to follow.

I’m not sure where you are don but our 3.5’s aren’t nearly that big bodied in GA, he will be very impressive in November with that neck all puffed up!!

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to aging a deer so very possibly I am wrong about that. It's very rare for a buck in this part of Michigan to survive more than 3 full hunting seasons but there are exceptions and he could be one.
This was his first appearance in front of one of my trail cameras, hopefully there will be more to follow.
I hope he walks by your stand, he is a beast!!

Last edited:
Hey don I set up 1 of my Brownings to take video a few days ago. We also cannot use any attractants here in IL, so I usually cut cedar rubbing posts and put them in plots. I'll check that cam in a few days just to make sure it's working properly. All I have to do is open the truck door... nonintrusive. Good luck with your buck.

I’m not sure where you are don but our 3.5’s aren’t nearly that big bodied in GA, he will be very impressive in November with that neck all puffed up!!

The location is about midway in the state east to west in the lower peninsula and about 140 miles from the southern border.
Our bucks typically weigh around 130 lbs at 1 1/2 years, 150 lbs at 2 1/2, and 185 lbs at 3 1/2 years, these are pre-rut live weights. Weights of all deer in general are usually recorded as being heavier in the areas south of my area, while areas to the north of me being somewhat lower. There are exceptions of course and once a buck reaches 4 1/2 years all bets are off, giants are taken every year.