All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The River Break

Redneck

5 year old buck +
Hello all, I'm another migrator from QDMA and thought I would continue my land thread here. I will add some of the old pictures along the way. My land is 80 acres on the chickasawhay River in waynesboro MS. I originally owned 30 acres of pine 10 year plantation that was 100 feet from the river. I currently bought 50 acres that join onto my 30 that has around 500 feet of river frontage.

image.png since i got the property I have had a problem crossing this 22' drainage ditch that's about 9' deep. The previous owner had laid down theses drilling guns and was using these to cross so he could keep the road bush hogged

Last edited:
I found an old gooseneck out in the woods and turned it into a pretty nice bridge

Last edited:
If the ditch is 9' deep under those pipe the previous owner had a lot more ------ that I ever had!

No way I'm taking a tractor across that! Your best bet may be to look into some large diameter culvert pipes and several truck loads of gravel and some dozed work. A 22 foot span is pretty daunting depending on what your talking about running across it.....especially if you measures it's weight in tons! I have see. Some guys use the bed of old flatbed trailers or even flat bed semi truck trailers.

Sorry about that guys I'm offshore and this rigs internet won't let me upload the pics. I will countinue this thread when I get home
I found an old gooseneck out in the woods and turned it into a pretty nice bridge
image.png image.png

image.png image.png I found 25 chestnut hill dunstans and 3 grafted persimmon trees on sale a Walmart so I got everything they had. $8.00 each. Also bought the last 4 hood pear trees they had for 5 each

No way I'm taking a tractor across that! Your best bet may be to look into some large diameter culvert pipes and several truck loads of gravel and some dozed work. A 22 foot span is pretty daunting depending on what your talking about running across it.....especially if you measures it's weight in tons! I have see. Some guys use the bed of old flatbed trailers or even flat bed semi truck trailers.
I was dumb enough to drive my tractor across it because the briars and sweet gum was taking over the road. I wouldn't drive back across it so I had to come up with something quick so I used the gooseneck. I love how it turned out.

looks like it turned out well for you.....and you made a real good score with the trees. You going to be able to water them for the remainder of the summer to unsure they survive or are you planning on holding them until spring? I like to watch for sales as well for chestnuts and fruit trees - why pay full price? I however tend to plant right away and then water on a weekly basis. I essentially use my 55 gallon sprayer as a water wagon. I put 5 gallon buckets at each tree and the bucket has a few holes in the bottom and I then fill with the sprayer. This ensure they all get at least 5 gallon of water and it seeps into the soil instead of running all over. The buckets stay at each tree so I have no time delay and I collect them at the end of watering and then re-use the next year when I pick up some more trees!

looks like it turned out well for you.....and you made a real good score with the trees. You going to be able to water them for the remainder of the summer to unsure they survive or are you planning on holding them until spring? I like to watch for sales as well for chestnuts and fruit trees - why pay full price? I however tend to plant right away and then water on a weekly basis. I essentially use my 55 gallon sprayer as a water wagon. I put 5 gallon buckets at each tree and the bucket has a few holes in the bottom and I then fill with the sprayer. This ensure they all get at least 5 gallon of water and it seeps into the soil instead of running all over. The buckets stay at each tree so I have no time delay and I collect them at the end of watering and then re-use the next year when I pick up some more trees!
I'm planting now and watering as needed. I have already planted all the pears and 6 chestnuts but run out of time and had to come back to work. I work offshore 28 on and 28 off. We have been lucky with the rain and have been getting a good soaker about every day. My nephew will water for me when I'm gone so hopefully they do good. I will plant the other 18 when I get home. I bought a few of the chestnuts at $30 each when they first got them in but I held off in hopes they would put them on sale and it worked out.

Good find on the chestnuts!

Good to see you over here too. Looking forward to continuing following along.

(Formerly Stickbowcrafter on other forum)

Thanks, I have a few updates with pics from this trip home but this rigs internet is to slow to upload the pics so I will add them when I get home. I spent the majority of my time home this trip working on the land and made some good progress. We hung a 2 man ladder stand on a white oak / swamp chestnut oak ridge, this ridge overlooks a 1/2 acre clearing that I plan on turning into a small plot, it also overlooks the small water hole I posted on the qdma forum. I have high hopes for this stand.

Place looks great and kudos on the score on the trees. Sbyb has a place in south ms he goes to quite a bit. Lots of deer and Turkey.

Thanks it's a work in progress. We have lots of deer, turkey and hogs. I just wanted a place where I can take my girls and they can actually see something