The Land of Milk and Honey

I ordered Plateau for my NWSG planting this spring. Man! That stuff is expensive! Considering I only need 8 oz. Total this spring, I hope it stores well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you working through a Govt program on the NWSG? If not you might reach out to your local private lands biologist with Game and Fish and see if you can get some Habitat 1st Dollars. That program is a little easier to work with. Only requires a W9 and a contract. They fund the project if they have the money for it. If you tell them you want to plant a forb heavy mix you can sell it as quail brood rearing and nesting cover, as that is where the big push is right now. It only pays towards expenses and does not pay you a yearly payment. My private lands guy usually has chemical he can "sell" me at a very reduced cost if he knows I am putting it towards habitat projects on my property.

Are you working through a Govt program on the NWSG? If not you might reach out to your local private lands biologist with Game and Fish and see if you can get some Habitat 1st Dollars. That program is a little easier to work with. Only requires a W9 and a contract. They fund the project if they have the money for it. If you tell them you want to plant a forb heavy mix you can sell it as quail brood rearing and nesting cover, as that is where the big push is right now. It only pays towards expenses and does not pay you a yearly payment. My private lands guy usually has chemical he can "sell" me at a very reduced cost if he knows I am putting it towards habitat projects on my property.
Some day. The land is my dad's and he is not too keen on "strangers." 😂 I have a standing offer on the 110 acres next door and I am well positioned to purchase it someday. If that happens, with today's land prices, I will need all the help I can get!

The main issue with CRP programs is that every county is different.Some know what they are doing and want to eroll acres and some don't know JG from switch grass and don't want the work.A year ago I was re enrolling my wetland and they turned me down because of JG.The issue I had with it was there were 2 small patches of JG in the 15 acres.I sprayed sprayed plateau almost every year.I appealed it and they sent someone else out and they agreed very small amount of JG so I re enrolled.Then a few days later they went on to tell me I had to buy forbs seed as there weren't any forbs.I explained that no there wasn't because NWSG gets thick enough to choke out and what doesn't get choked out gets drowned when it floods,wetland.Ok but I had to replant onmy dime and they would inspect every 2 years and I would have to replant forbs if they decreased each time.The price of forbs seed was more than what I was getting paid.So I opted out.Guess what I had to pay like 115.00 dollars for being enrolled for 3 days.I have been in half dozen different programs over last 20 years and they have probably paid for 1/3 of the farm and the first county I worked with was great,this county not so much.I change county offices due to farmer farming more in newest office area.

15a04ff04400dabd71be45bf8fedb900.jpg

First nice day in quite a while. Time for some planter maintenance!
4f30e99569ec2d1e691684e2891d979d.jpg

In preparation for drilling in my NWSG buffers, I needed to take care of a few trees that were overhanging or otherwise preventing me from getting the tractor where I wanted. Picked up a little DeWalt battery powered chainsaw as I can’t get the truck there. That thing is neat. I got the whole west side of the field ready. Need to use the pole saw on the South side. North and East are in pretty good shape.
b1cae211d23b58502a953fa2692bef3a.jpeg

We have one of the Dewalt cordless chainsaws. For what I use it for I have zero complaints.

Doesn't get much better than that,watch out for ticks,had the first one today

Doesn't get much better than that,watch out for ticks,had the first one today

Get out!

5 lbs. of RC Big Rock switchgrass went on this hillside of right around 1 acre. Some of it went into some pretty heavy thatch. I will spray what I can of the brome and cheat with my backpack sprayer with gly and simazine. See what happens!
IMG_2462.jpg
IMG_2463.jpg

Will be interesting to see what you get. Your spot looks more interesting than mine. Here's where I put my 10 lbs of RC Big Rock in Feb.

20240227_124450.jpg

I have most of the parts I need to have my planter in tip top shape. These wheels were trashed. The good thing about steel wheels is they are a little elbow grease away from looking like new. A scotchbrite wheel, primer, and fresh JD yellow has them looking good. Throw on some new rubber and they are looking just right!
af434c4d97724791e9bff6f59fb17591.jpg

Got some good help with rehabbing the gauge wheels. New bearings and bushing and they are smooth as silk!
83174edb6d4fc19cf09c493960dfeb16.jpg

Last edited:
Got some good help with rehabbing the gauge wheels. New bearings and bushing and they are smooth as silk!
83174edb6d4fc19cf09c493960dfeb16.jpg

That is a great thing! Trying to get them started when they are old enough to have a cell phone is a lesson in frustration!!

Sprayed part of the hillside with 2.75 oz of Gly/ gallon and 3 oz of AMS in a backpack sprayer. Sprayed about half of it. Gly is sooooo slow.
c7f0efa84406d600b2dec14b11eccc45.jpeg

I also rented a fertilizer buggy for my corn plot. I was gonna put AMS on recommendation, but the agronomist came up with a special cocktail for me. Only bad news was the buggy needed dual hydraulic hookups to run. Our JD 3020 only has 1. Thank goodness I have a good neighbor who likes Busch Light.
f6aca2fe9676b58dffe40c27bc82a49d.jpg

I also rented a fertilizer buggy for my corn plot. I was gonna put AMS on recommendation, but the agronomist came up with a special cocktail for me. Only bad news was the buggy needed dual hydraulic hookups to run. Our JD 3020 only has 1. Thank goodness I have a good neighbor who likes Busch Light.
f6aca2fe9676b58dffe40c27bc82a49d.jpg

Some of the best things in life are bartered for with barley pop!
Place is looking great!

Some of the best things in life are bartered for with barley pop!
Place is looking great!

Thanks, Cat! Biggest headache now is I am on a list for the local NWSG drill from the NRCS. Was supposed to get it early March to plant my buffer strips. Someone is sitting on it. We are due for a new kid any day now. I had hoped to get it planted before that…