The Land of Milk and Honey

NW/SW. Rarely ever straight out of any of the three (N/W/S). This year seems to be quite the exception. We built our house on the West side of the road because we rarely get East winds. Not in 2023! It seems most of our winds this year are Easterly. The struggle is this all being hugged up against our South property line. That is the hand I was dealt.

Just got this little peach today! :) Will need some work, but I am sure I will have fun with it.

johndeere70004r30rowcropplanter-2_756a9ec1ef1844a89e9a698f84ea21cc.jpg

We’ve gotten a couple hard freezes so I thought yesterday was a good day to spray the brome before the leaves covered everything up. 2 quarts/acre of gly and AMS. This is in preparation for a NWSG planting next spring. Hopes are high.
beeb46b18bd5fa4dc34229622fb8a71b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you get a good kill on that brome. Will you spray it in the spring too?

I hope you get a good kill on that brome. Will you spray it in the spring too?

I think so. I am researching my best options. Looks like gly and some sort of imazapic mix. One to kill and the other as a preemerge? I am at the mercy of the local conservation district NWSG drill availability for planting. Will spray accordingly.

We drove down to the plot today. The wife suggested I take a couple progress pics since the change is noticeable. Here are 2 pics. The first is where I sprayed the future buffer strip on the South edge of my bean field. The second is the North edge where my sprayer ran out. Still green if you zoom in. The plan is to hit this all again with gly and Plateau around May 1st. Again, not sure when I get to rent the drill, but a mix of Big Bluestem, Indiangrass, Switchgrass and Little Bluestem going in. Soybeans will be corn this year. It’s all an education. Lots of fun.
779e460a4ce23272eec2e0e0d0107fa3.jpg

cd1441982b4f4e9fe84860e7be574afb.jpg

Last edited:
We have been getting wind and therefore snow drifts like I haven’t seen since I was a kid. Looking for some alfalfa to roll out for the deer. We have done that a couple times when it gets real bad.
0c4281f6dcf2bffb1e258c4bc70cb7c3.jpg

9123d4dd535f5f970550a79844599e17.jpg

Yea the last couple of days have been a shock to the system! LOL Forecast is not calling for above freezing temperatures for the next week. Compared to MN standards we aren't cold I know, but dang it feels like I was sweating with just a sweatshirt on the other day.... oh wait I was! LOL. Well the drifting snow does suck, but the thing about that is unless it is snowing non stop there are quite a few areas that are wind swept so critters can get to the ground surface. This time of year deer are feeding on a lot of browse and maybe some corn if they can find it.

We were lucky and no snow on ground and its 11 degrees.

Wind chill at noon today was -17. Bit brisk. . The deer show it. They are on the feed 3 hours before sunset and 4 hours after sunrise.

Thought I might try to make life a bit easier on the poor suckers. I know they probably don’t need it, but I bet they will take it. With any luck, tomorrow it’s time to fell a few elms for browse.

8c919144dbd94b7fa73ce3b5cd461d3f.jpeg

bc89acfca9318815e038db9a12093627.jpeg

Curious what shows...

Didn’t take too long. I did this in 3 places. This one, one about 75 yards behind it, and one up by the house. With 2 feeders it gives them 5 places spread out to feed. I like it.
74d3e7a7728d1264aba0e73285934a13.jpeg

That's fun! Sure wish we could do that kinda thing. Looks like you still have uneaten beans? Will you lay low on the shed hunting for a few weeks? I'm sure you're anxious.

Super anxious. As soon as I see the big boys with slick heads, I’m going in. As far as the beans, the pods are all split. There are beans on the ground though they are buried in crusted snow at the moment. Not sure how hard they will dig for them.

I ordered Plateau for my NWSG planting this spring. Man! That stuff is expensive! Considering I only need 8 oz. Total this spring, I hope it stores well.

Most county weed departments have a program to get plateau at a discount

Most county weed departments have a program to get plateau at a discount

I work for the County and never even considered this…

Holy buckets, that’s North Dakota kind of conditions!

The county where my land is located sells at a discounted rate but i use the USDA office in the adjoining county and they give you a 50.00 discount certificate for local coop