All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tall stand of grass?

Jayber

5 year old buck +
Can anyone identify this? It appears to have been drilled in ~40 acres, stands a hearty 7-8 ft tall, located in central WI.
b365eff1efc3a5bbbd63ef263c3fceda.jpg
da7ef1953c36b0d7f36e3648f08512d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It sure looks like miscanthus that maybe got a hard killing frost before the seed head formed fully.
A stand like would surely be for biofuel and should have been harvested over the winter after the blades fell off.

Though there is still time to harvest.

If you get near it again look at the bottom of some of the stems for a rhizome.
Like this one. It will be brown and dead but if it's miscanthus 85% of them should have it.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up, next time I'm past the field I'll stop and examine for rhizome.

It sure looks like miscanthus that maybe got a hard killing frost before the seed head formed fully.
A stand like would surely be for biofuel and should have been harvested over the winter after the blades fell off.

Though there is still time to harvest.

If you get near it again look at the bottom of some of the stems for a rhizome.
Like this one. It will be brown and dead but if it's miscanthus 85% of them should have it.

View attachment 12722
Made it back by the field today and grabbed a couple of pics. They weren't totally obvious, but I think these are the rhizomes you spoke of.
82f7d817e93ec8b0b70cc87cdeaa36f2.jpg
4af855150bd516749ce792263fea425a.jpg

Based on those pics I'm 100% sure. Miscanthus Giganteus.

Mark your calendars for August 15 and Sept 15. That field will just look awesome in August and if the seed heads form in September it will be beautiful.

Take pics. I've never seen a stand that big.

Also based on the size of the growth from each bunch I'd say it's a two year old stand.

That would explain why it wasn't harvested and why it wasn't 12 foot tall.

It should really take off this summer. In 2 or 3 more years nothing could walk through it.

I so want a field like this planted a bit more spaced out. 1 plant every 8 or 10 feet would have to be a deer magnet. Especially if there were clover in between.

Based on those pics I'm 100% sure. Miscanthus Giganteus.

Mark your calendars for August 15 and Sept 15. That field will just look awesome in August and if the seed heads form in September it will be beautiful.

Take pics. I've never seen a stand that big.
Will do..... Will be watching things progress each time I pass by there. Will post with updated pics.

Also based on the size of the growth from each bunch I'd say it's a two year old stand.

That would explain why it wasn't harvested and why it wasn't 12 foot tall.

It should really take off this summer. In 2 or 3 more years nothing could walk through it.

I so want a field like this planted a bit more spaced out. 1 plant every 8 or 10 feet would have to be a deer magnet. Especially if there were clover in between.
I'm very much interested in this for use as a screen/barrier down the road.

How does one plant this stuff?

Last edited:
Doubletree/Lickcreek has an excellent thread on the topic

bill

Will check it out, thanks!

I'm very much interested in this for use as a screen/barrier down the road.

How does one plant this stuff?

It's planted via rhizomes and by live stake cuttings. The seed heads are sterile as it was developed for biofuel with making it non invasive an important characteristic. lickcreek introduced me to it about 8 years ago and I've been playing with ever since. I'm up to about 1000 plants so far.

Lots of info here. http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/miscanthus-giaganteus-propagation-from-cuttings.480/

It's planted via rhizomes and by live stake cuttings. The seed heads are sterile as it was developed for biofuel with making it non invasive an important characteristic. lickcreek introduced me to it about 8 years ago and I've been playing with ever since. I'm up to about 1000 plants so far.

Lots of info here. http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/miscanthus-giaganteus-propagation-from-cuttings.480/
Is it a hand/manual or machine process?

By the size of the field I saw I highly doubt they hand planted everything. And there's another just down the road about a mile at least as big.

By the size of the field I saw I highly doubt they hand planted everything. And there's another just down the road about a mile at least as big.

No for biofuel they use modified tree planters, modified vegetable planter etc. some company's are starting to,build specialized planters.

On the first page of my last link there's info on how I planted 1000 in two rows pretty quickly. Used a modified 3 point sub soiler to dig a trench. Walk down dropping rhizomes, rake the dirt back and pack with a 4 wheeler.

You seen the two sites along highway 8 didn't you!!!!

I've seen them for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seen the two sites along highway 8 didn't you!!!!

I've seen them for a few years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ding, ding..... You got it!

No for biofuel they use modified tree planters, modified vegetable planter etc. some company's are starting to,build specialized planters.

On the first page of my last link there's info on how I planted 1000 in two rows pretty quickly. Used a modified 3 point sub soiler to dig a trench. Walk down dropping rhizomes, rake the dirt back and pack with a 4 wheeler.
I like it, but cant afford one I'm sure!

I do like the approach, however, of creating a continuous trench, dropping them in and covering them up. Should be simple to incorporate with the toolbar I made which has my 2-row planter units on it currently. Will check out what you did.

I would think a subsoiler would work good.