All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tall roadside screen

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
Any ideas on the fastest way to screen this from roadside view, or is this impossible?

roadsideTOscreen2.jpgroadsideTOscreen.jpg

Looks like you need a lot of height to cover the top of the hill. Only way i can think of without having basically mature trees is to have stepped screens I.E. one on the road side of the corn and then another at an elevation where the one closest to the road no longer covers. Might need 3+ levels of screens? That would complicate the planting in the field but not sure how else to do it without big $ in transplanted trees.

You could try Austree Hybrid Willows... they are cheap and extremely fast growing if cared for. It would still probably take a few years to get that space thickened up though?

Thomas at Big Rock Trees told me the Hybrid Willows they sell would be a reasonable screen for something like that. Worth looking in to.

I have not tried them myself, suitable growth would be 2-4 years from what I recall. Multiple rows would likely be best.

Hybrid willows and/or hybrid poplars could give you a quick visual screen while the leaves are standing, but nothing beats a conifer visual screen for the long term. I would plant a row of hybrid willows and/or hybrid poplars and then also 2 staggered rows of white spruce. Give plenty of room between the rows so the trees get plenty of sun when they get older.

A caution on hybrid willows. The leaves break bud very early in the spring which is great. But, they fall off early in the fall. My hybrid willow are bare by the end of October. you cant shoot through them but you can see through them. maybe three rows?

Eye line level at the road may not be as high as the photo shows....so you may need to do a little work and see just how tall you need....I am thinking of a pole and someone standing at the road taking notes as you move the pole. I would also try to find out just where the right of way is as you probably want to screen as close to that as you can to take the most advantage of any height you do get. I also see that this is a "no passing zone" so drivers "should" be watching the road....other folks may be gawking out the window, but maybe it's not as bad as you think.....maybe.

Like was mentioned - you may have to put in several rows/layers in different parts of the field to screen it entirely....and that simply may not be practical

I personally would only worry about road shooters from about 300 yards or less from the road. Most can't hit shit further than that while holding a light and rifle and worrying about where they set their beer down any way!

My gut tells me...MG, conifers or maybe pin oak, and obviously some of those are going to take far longer than others.

Spruce, Pine, Cedar, one row of oak that keeps it leaves and then either some type of fast growing tree… depends on location/soil.

It might not block (visual)everything, but it will screen it off . Just not for a few years .

Ben, I would recommend Norway Spruce rather than white pines. Something has been killing a lot of the white pines in our area over the last few years. ERC would be great but they grow slower than Norways.

Lots of great ideas. These give me a lot to research before planting time. I would love to just be able to move around my ERC at will. Those would be perfect for this. I think a mixture like some of you recommended will probably be the way to go. If I put a double row of the willow/poplars and then a row of Norway spruce, that might just do the trick. Those photos aren't that great. The corn throws off the scale somewhat. It was really short corn. The edges were maybe 5 ft tall there. But, it is about a 30-40 ft change in elevation from the bottom to the top.

Lots of great ideas. These give me a lot to research before planting time. I would love to just be able to move around my ERC at will. Those would be perfect for this. I think a mixture like some of you recommended will probably be the way to go. If I put a double row of the willow/poplars and then a row of Norway spruce, that might just do the trick. Those photos aren't that great. The corn throws off the scale somewhat. It was really short corn. The edges were maybe 5 ft tall there. But, it is about a 30-40 ft change in elevation from the bottom to the top.
Keep in mind the growth rates. The hybrid willow/poplar will put on several feet per year to provide the initial screen for ~10 years before the spruce are large enough. May take the willow/poplar 2-4 years before desired results depending on needed height. They are also way cheaper than other options if you plant cuttings.

I would build a berm and then tree spade cedars make sure back far enough that some R/W sprayer doesn't get you

For that situation with a low drop off in land, I would consider red pine. They are fast growing and will get tall with a bushy top. Plant them every 8' with 3 rows staggered.

Has anyone ordered Austree willows or hybrid poplars from CZ-Grain out of Iowa before? They have an Amazon store as well and free shipping. 100 Austree cuttings for $79.99 seems pretty good.

Has anyone ordered Austree willows or hybrid poplars from CZ-Grain out of Iowa before? They have an Amazon store as well and free shipping. 100 Austree cuttings for $79.99 seems pretty good.

Not from them. But I offer the same caution with hybrid poplars. Leaf drop is early. I've never planted an Austree

My hybrid willows drop their leaves usually in mid to late November. My hybrid poplars lose theirs in Oct.

I've planted hybrid wills called austrees and ones just sold as hybrid willows. They drop same time.

I think they are your best bet for quick screen while a "fast" growing conifer grows to size.

A double row of willows, every 4' with staggered row 4' away will give a good screen. Cut them all off at 3' level after 3 years and they will give you a thick bushy screen until conifers are there or cut again a couple years later Tomales even a bushier tree.