Survivors

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
The winter of 2018/19 we had some problems with mice&voles climbing the protective screen and girdled a few of our young five foot crabs way in the back of our shrub strips. I TreeKoted the wounds but they looked to damaged to make it. They were planted in an area where they got zero TLC after the initial planting and caging/screening. I looked at them mid-summer last year and they looked pretty much dead from it.

Last week I took a look around and one of the trees had healed over had leaves and blossoms and looked good, so I pruned and fertilized it.
Two had a bunch of suckers leafing out under the screens. I opened the screens up and the growth was above the grafts but the new branches were all twisted up, I tried to pick the best candidate for a new leader and pruned off the rest along with the old tree.

Not very pretty but hopefully I can make something out of them in the next few years with some creative pruning? Anyone ever fixed an ugly like this?

SVItAqs.jpg

"Life finds a way"

Seems pretty cool to me

Keep us posted

bill

"Life finds a way"

Seems pretty cool to me

Keep us posted

bill

Will do, if it ends up being a crooked crab someday a grandkid may like it as a climbing tree with a step on it?

20 years from now someone on an outdoor site like this one will ask for photos of trees with unusual shapes and somebody in your family will post up a dandy. Very nerat; hope it makes it! :emoji_relaxed:

It could be worked into a neat bonzai tree....

I would almost have to take one of those two new central leaders and tie it down so it has even more peyronie’s :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here I am thinking how can I get this tree back to normal and you guys with better perspective and fresh eyes see it for something different and cool looking. In my tunnel vision I didn't even see it! It really is a great opportunity to have something special for decades....I've got plenty of "normal" looking trees anyway. Thank you!

LOL, they're crazy.... I'm cutting that sucker off right above that very bottom bud/leaf