All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sturgeon Spawn (its a WI thing)

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
Stopped by Shiocton on the way home from planting more crabapples/apple trees and saw a few fish but not going yet. I bet they start early this week if the weather keeps warm. For those that want to see some live action cam stuff, Shadows On The Wolf now has four cameras they can move around to try to capture the action ( its a camera stuck in a cement block they can move up to a point at Bamboo Bend)

The fish are basically against shore rubbing on the rocks when spawning.

Go to shadowsonthewolf.org and I think they are also doing a feed to wolfrivercam.com which i think has a another camera stuck on the end of some pier which can show walleye at times.

Reports are that sturgeon sex was rampant today. Figures, I missed it again as back on the road for work....

Reports are that sturgeon sex was rampant today. Figures, I missed it again as back on the road for work....
Are there other places in the world with a Sturgeon Guard or is WI one of a kind?

I think WI is the only place where the fish gather in enough numbers that crowds of hundreds of people and the local TV crews come out to watch the DNR net fish and take data every year. There are only so many spots the fish like to hang out at before they are stopped by the dam in Shawano. Several popular ones are in New London, Shiocton, and Shawano. Some fish spill over into the Embarrass river too but much smaller numbers. They can go up to the dam in Pella.

They do keep tabs on sturgeon (white sturgeon?) in the Columbia River out west and have seasons and such but that is such a vast area to cover so I don't think they really have areas that are known hot spots for spawning. The Columbia covers several states and goes into Canada too.