All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting screening project...

Davewp70

A good 3 year old buck
Planted the miscanthus this past week. 20170525_145024_resized.jpg 20170528_124747_resized.jpg 20170525_145017_resized.jpg

Saturday direct planted half my cuttings. Potted the other half today. If any success, will be able to plant remaining plants this fall.

Looks like you had a busy weekend!

Looking forward to pics later in the year.

Looking forward to pics later in the year.
20170529_114443_resized.jpg
As a frame of reference, this is a 9 acre field in canary grass and golden rod. Starting to divide out areas so that when folage in november drops, any deer on hill side (behind me in photo) can not see me walking through field. Sometimes the changes in our work is rather subtle, yet rewarding. ie. noticed that Chestnuts planted from prior yrs had first catkins on them.

Will enjoy following along w/ you.

How tall will it get?

How tall will it get?

The miscanthus will get to 10 to 12 foot in year 3. Slow starter but a winner once it's going.

I put in 100 rhizomes over the weekend also. Some to screen off the cabin from the woods, others around food plots edges and access trail edges.
023.JPG 020.JPG

davewp,

can you plant these cutting anytime or spring only?.....

davewp,

can you plant these cutting anytime or spring only?.....

What Dave has in the picture are rhizomes. Their actually pieces of the roots harvested from dormant plants that should be planted before or shortly after they wake up.

Cuttings can be taken from mature plants and planted in the summer. The cuttings need to be kept wet and babied. A few of us have been experimenting with this for a couple of years and so far found it's best to start them in a jar of water until they root then plant them.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/miscanthus-giaganteus-propagation-from-cuttings.480/

Bill,

does the same process work equally well with silky dogwood arrow wood,and elderberry ???

Bill,

does the same process work equally well with silky dogwood arrow wood,and elderberry ???

I'm not sure I never tried woody cuttings in water. It might be to much water. I have read about guys potting them in sand and keeping them wet to start them off.

based on daves pictures of the bigrock tree.com bags he is planting silky and arrow wood among others as cuttings...iwas curious if that was a better alternative to live trees you would buy from the state.

based on daves pictures of the bigrock tree.com bags he is planting silky and arrow wood among others as cuttings...iwas curious if that was a better alternative to live trees you would buy from the state.

Got it, I misunderstood the ? It sure is easier than digging a hole. But weed protection is a must.

Will you have enough room to add a row of conifers? They take a while to grow, but it's really hard to beat a row of spruce or pines as a visual screen.

there are wet spots in that field that are going to get the button brush.
As for elderberry, I just started propagating this year. 12 plants so far. all doing well. transplanted them out to property last week. fear that i have broken a few of the real delicate roots. the recent order from big rock i have 4 elderberry in water (ran out of pots) and can see the root starting to budd out, which is kinda cool to watch. Couple of the elderberry are starting to pop green growth on top. Will be interesting to compare the water started to pot started plants. also the ones that were direct planted outside. In all honesty, believe that the ones planted outside were started to late, I have little hope for them.

Update, Elderberry kept back in jar of water showing most growth, since, repotted before roots got to long. Surprisingly, the potted (kept wet and on north side of house) dogwood showing most growth, then elderberry, some arrowwood, nothing yet from the buttonbrush. None of the direct outdoor planted varieties have shown anygrowth. All of the transplanted elderberry are green and doing well. (Side note in addition to adding screening to the property, the elderberry are going to be flowering in june which helps bees fill in gap for pollin during summer derth).

Update: The elderberry kept indoor in water prior to planting (pot) has 75% growth (3/4 sprouting green) vs outdoor in pots only about 50%. Nearly every dogwood pushing out green. About 80% OF arrowwood, but only 2 of 7 of the buttonbrush. No hopes for any of the outdoor direct planted as temps are high and i have not been able to keep watered.

Glad to hear they are doing well. Sorry to hear it got hot and dry for the wild planted ones. Until this weekend we were EXTREMELY dry as well. We received 2 big downpours yesterday. Everything really needed it.

Speaking of elderberry flowering in June, the plants that we harvest from (down to a 12" stump) still flower and set fruit every year. Once established they are TOUGH!

Keep us posted, I can't wait to see how they do!

Pictres comparing the Indoor ELDERBERRY vs outdoor elderberry (and Arrow wood, dogwood and buttonbrush). From left to right.20170612_150513_resized.jpg
Here is the inddor elderbeery which was not taken from water to soil until multiple root nodules were visible.
20170612_150417_resized.jpg