All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Lawrence Nursery trees

Peeps

5 year old buck +
Those that have planted trees from SLN, how many years after planting until your trees started to fruit?

Planted last year, have fruit this year. These are crabs.

I planted a winter wildlife crab, violis , all winter hangover, freedom, and Kerr in the spring of 2015 and all but the violis flowered this year. All have been good growers for me

Dolgo in spring 2016, has fruit in 2017. Most my other tree look pretty blah though from them

3-6 years seems to be about average for me for SLN trees. It seems like there is a fair amount of variance between varieties though. Some grow like crazy and have a few apples in 2 years and some really take their time and will be lucky to have any fruit in 8+ years.

I have a Prairie Spy and a Bonkers from SLN that are fruiting for the first time this year. Both are 5th leaf on Antonovka. Goldrush fruited in the 3rd leaf. The AWH, Dolgo, Centennial, and Hyslop crabs fruited in years 2 and 3. I think it varies by variety as to when you get fruit. Local climate, rainfall, and soil conditions could also play a part.

Who has tasted all winter hangover, violi's, or winter wildlife?

Who has tasted all winter hangover, violi's, or winter wildlife?
I have all three, but haven't tasted any. I believe it is the all winter hangover that is my best grower in northern WI and it also has a lot of fruit about 1"+ in diameter. The fruit hangs on the tree until the following sprint or until a bear comes by and tears down the branches.

Are you thinking of using those for cider? You'll have to let me know how your cider press works. I've been thinking about getting one a few years down the road when my orchard starts producing. I've recently been going more towards crabapples and russets for the late season deer draw as well as for cider.

I can tell you, Art - the AWH crab is really tasty. The fruit we get on ours is about 1 1/2" to 2" in dia. and it's tart with some sweetness. I wouldn't call it sour by any means. Juicy too. I can polish off 3 or 4 of them and enjoy every bite !!!

Our Violi's has it's first apple or 2 this year - haven't tasted it yet. I'll wait until it ripens. WW crab also has it's first fruit this year. Yet to taste them.

I have all three, but haven't tasted any. I believe it is the all winter hangover that is my best grower in northern WI and it also has a lot of fruit about 1"+ in diameter. The fruit hangs on the tree until the following sprint or until a bear comes by and tears down the branches.

Are you thinking of using those for cider? You'll have to let me know how your cider press works. I've been thinking about getting one a few years down the road when my orchard starts producing. I've recently been going more towards crabapples and russets for the late season deer draw as well as for cider.

This spring I planted a Mn 1734 and a St. Edmund's Russet from SLN. Both were very slow to bud, but are doing fine now.

This spring I planted a Mn 1734 and a St. Edmund's Russet from SLN. Both were very slow to bud, but are doing fine now.
I might have the number wrong on the MN. Yes I am thinking of cider.

I can tell you, Art - the AWH crab is really tasty. The fruit we get on ours is about 1 1/2" to 2" in dia. and it's tart with some sweetness. I wouldn't call it sour by any means. Juicy too. I can polish off 3 or 4 of them and enjoy every bite !!!

Our Violi's has it's first apple or 2 this year - haven't tasted it yet. I'll wait until it ripens. WW crab also has it's first fruit this year. Yet to taste them.
My Violi's should fruit in a year or two. I don't have AWH, yet.

I have 30 different crabs and apples from SLN. The first bunch were planted 3 springs ago and the 2nd bunch last year. No apples or crabs yet but they seem to be growing good especially the AWH. Those crabs have really taken off.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I ordered from SLN and was curious about the size of the Dolgo crabapple fruit. Does anyone have a picture or a rough estimate on size for these?

Tullybonnie11 - The Dolgo crab apples are about 1" across and 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" long. They're a little oblong in shape. We have a couple of them growing at camp.

Don't apologize for reviving an older thread !!!!!! All info is good and it gives perspective on results from a ways back in time. Early impressions 5 years ago may have changed a bit with the passage of time. And some newer members / lurkers here may not go back to search in the archives for past info.

I planted a SLN dolgo in my yard one spring then moved in the summer that year. Wanted to take the tree along with me but left it.

The following year I drove by and wouldn’t you know it, dang thing had a few clusters of beautiful dolgo crabs.

I secretly pruned the tree for them later that year, needed a lot, and the following year in had a bunch more apples. I really enjoy driving by and seeing how great it’s doing, I may grab some scion from it soon ;)

I planted a SLN dolgo in my yard one spring then moved in the summer that year. Wanted to take the tree along with me but left it.

The following year I drove by and wouldn’t you know it, dang thing had a few clusters of beautiful dolgo crabs.

I secretly pruned the tree for them later that year, needed a lot, and the following year in had a bunch more apples. I really enjoy driving by and seeing how great it’s doing, I may grab some scion from it soon ;)
Hey Charman03 can you drive by my farm with your pruners please lol

Hey Tullybonnie - I sent you a private message. Check your inbox !!