All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squirrel killing a bird.

North Mo

5 year old buck +
I have read a couple times about squirrels killing and eating birds but never witnessed it until this morning. I was on the ATV behind the house picking up targets on the range and a fox squirrel ran out of the brush just 10 feet in front of me with a still barely alive bird in it's mouth. The bird was at least 1/2 the size of the squirrel and it struggled to run with it but did not drop it for the 30 yards I could see him before disappearing into the woods. Strange to see a squirrel act more like a fox or coyote.

I never heard of that. But nature can be rough.

Better start shooting squirrels, you never know.

Vampire squirrels!!!!

And then there is the elusive coysquirrel........very sneaky and eats everything!

h3cSqE2.jpg

I have never seen a squirrel eating a bird, but I have seen a man eating squirrel.

It can happen...

image.jpeg

Buddy saw a squirrel catch a bird that had gotten trapped inside a bird feeder. It ate it on the spot like eating corn on the cob.

I've seen squirrels chewing on deer carcasses.

When I was a kid, there was a red squirrel that got into a robin nest with babies in it. Little birds hopping around the yard and birds going nuts.The yard was pandemonium with birds of a few species trying to drive the squirrel away. My dad shot it. It was one of those childhood events that I will never forget.

I've always heard that the red jimmy's will nut other squirrels and that grays and jimmy's will raid bird nests.

When I was a kid, there was a red squirrel that got into a robin nest with babies in it. Little birds hopping around the yard and birds going nuts.The yard was pandemonium with birds of a few species trying to drive the squirrel away. My dad shot it. It was one of those childhood events that I will never forget.

Hate to do it, but I think we're gonna have to turn him in for poaching... It's the right thing to do... hahahha

I remember weird things like that from my childhood too... I think I was oblivious to some things and looking back now, I try to figure what was happening, and I shake my head when I have a little bit of awareness...

Reactions: Tap
I remember seeing a video on internet of a deer eating a bird but don't remember the location

I remember seeing a video on internet of a deer eating a bird but don't remember the location

I've seen that too, one I saw was red deer eating small mammals and birds in Europe. It said they would actually catch and eat them?

I guess there has been a bunch of this;
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...j0i22i10i30j33i22i29i30j0i8i13i30.nVlFkF2XD44

one I saw was red deer eating small mammals and birds in Europe

Red deer and reindeer both eat small animals here. Usually lemmings and baby birds.

I remember a short article in an old 1980s Deer & Deer Hunting mag that showed deer eating dead fish washed up on shore.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk