All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring fever=work/play

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
This last week it has been pretty sunny, with temps in the lower 30's, the sun sure has felt nice. Well today the sun drew me out for some work. I broke out the chain saw and started opening up my food plots some, and feathering the edges out a bit. I also started clearing the canopy where I am planning on planting shrubs this spring. After an hour, I realized I am spending more energy walking through knee deep+ snow carrying a chain saw, then I was actually cutting the trees down. So I stopped, and I plan on waiting until there is less then a foot of snow. I did get about half of what I wanted cut down, down. I will cut them up when the snow is gone. I did get one stuck in some other trees, I left it there. I figured I will wait until there is less snow, so I can escape, and jump back easier to trim it down.

I wanted to drop some trees right now, it gives the deer some fresh new buds to chew on, and I need firewood for next winter, so if I drop them before the sap fills the trees, they dry a little quicker. Plus working when it is 20-40 degrees is much better then 80 degrees, sweating, swatting deer flys, and mosquitos, and walking through tit high ferns.

If I had the new Zubat I ordered, I would have gone out and started clearing a trail through some tag alders, it should be here Saturday though, so if it doesnt rain all day, I will start on that.

Sounds like a great day! Any day in the forest with a chainsaw where you don't have to run for your life at least once is a good one!

I was thinking about starting this weekend but we still have 2’ of snow so I am going to give it one more week. I will get one more ice fishing trip in this weekend then habitat season starts.

Had my chainsaw singing the other day as well, had a bunch of tree's that got tipped over from heavy ice that were not spring-ing back up, so,
cut them all down, made me a big pile and since i still have snow on the ground , built me a nice fire to get rid of things
nothing like a warm day after a bunch of very cold and icy conditions
felt good to be outside getting something done that in the end you can see the results
plus, I always like fires outside when snow is down, no worries about things spreading, IMO< its the best time of yr to burn brush piles!

I’ve gone thru 6 quarts of Tordon RTU in the last two weeks but it’s been in the 60’s-70’s here in southeastern Kansas. I’ve been crown releasing oaks and walnuts. Oaks for the deer walnuts for $$$ later in life.

I was thinking about starting this weekend but we still have 2’ of snow so I am going to give it one more week. I will get one more ice fishing trip in this weekend then habitat season starts.
That’s about what we have here as well, but I have been wanting to get out the last couple weeks to get some down for the deer. Buds are just starting to swell, so I figured it was a perfect time.

NE WI has been going thru a bit of a melt this week with some sun and temps hitting 40s, especially over by Green Bay snow is mostly gone. Saw and heard a lone scout first sandhill crane tonight. Was on 3/7 last yr. Winter is losing its grip but sure we'll get the melt, snow, melt, snow cycle another month.

Had my chainsaw singing the other day as well, had a bunch of tree's that got tipped over from heavy ice that were not spring-ing back up, so,
cut them all down, made me a big pile and since i still have snow on the ground , built me a nice fire to get rid of things
nothing like a warm day after a bunch of very cold and icy conditions
felt good to be outside getting something done that in the end you can see the results
plus, I always like fires outside when snow is down, no worries about things spreading, IMO< its the best time of yr to burn brush piles!
The harbingers of spring.....

.......dandelions blooming,elms budding, "chainsaws singing"......

bill

I may have a little while before I see any dandelions, but just the warmth of the sun put me into spring mode.

2AAEF588-410C-440E-9F0F-D9BE6A46CBE7.png