Soybeans and buckwheat

Peplin Creek

5 year old buck +
i am wondering if anyone has tried planting these two together for forage? I am thinking about doing this in some of my smaller plots before switching them over to fall plots.

You can mix warm season annuals, but you need to keep the amount of buckwheat in the mix low. Otherwise it will smother the beans or whatever else you plant. That would not be my first choice in a mix. First, if you are mixing anything except RR corn with soybeans, don't pay for RR beans since you won't be able to take advantage of that RR trait. Keep in mind that warm season annuals are more difficult, especially in the south where summer weeds are an issue. Buckwheat may be the exception because of how aggressive it is. So, when you mix warm season annuals, you won't be able to use post emergent herbicides in many cases depending on what plants you mix. This is not an issue if weeds are not a problem or you are willing to put up with them.

Personally, I like to plant RR beans with a light mix of RR corn. This allows for easy and low cost control of weeds which is important in my area.

Thanks,

Jack

Yeah I was going to look for non rr beans mainly because I am expecting deer to hit them hard and not have a lot left by mid summer since I don't have the acreage for beans. My goal is to just give them something to eat in the spring/summer months before i transition to brassicas and grains.

Yeah I was going to look for non rr beans mainly because I am expecting deer to hit them hard and not have a lot left by mid summer since I don't have the acreage for beans. My goal is to just give them something to eat in the spring/summer months before i transition to brassicas and grains.

First, if you are going to be asking food plot questions, it is a good idea to update your profile with your USDA zone and general location. Beyond that, consider your broader goals and make sure they are achievable. If you have control/influence on enough land to try to improve herd health in any measureable way, selecting a crop mix on that basis is important. If you don't have sufficient scale, you are limited to planting for attraction. That brings a different planting strategy into play.

For folks with the scale to influence herd health and who live in the south where summer is the major stress period, soybean are king for summer nutrition. For folk with in-season attraction as their primary objective, spring planting should be focused on preparing for the much more important plant for fall. Buckwheat is a great crop for this. It has soil benefits and is so competitive that really helps keep fields free of weeds in the summer making for a great plant for fall.

Take a step back, consider objectives and location. This will help you with crop selection.

Thanks,

Jack

Yeah.... so I am well aware of my goals and don't really need a lecture on that. I am simply asking if anyone has planted buckwheat and soybeans together. I thought maybe it would be a decent spring/summer plot based on the plant types so I thought I would ask if anyone has any experience with. Don't take this wrong way since I am sure you are just trying to help but I think your posts complaining about people not having the "correct" info a little arrogant. While I get it... it's not really that important to 90% of the questions asked on this forum. So if you have something important that can help, I am all ears... but if your saying I shouldn't post a question because my info isn't correct.. then I don't need that kind of negativity and neither does anyone else.

Yeah.... so I am well aware of my goals and don't really need a lecture on that. I am simply asking if anyone has planted buckwheat and soybeans together. I thought maybe it would be a decent spring/summer plot based on the plant types so I thought I would ask if anyone has any experience with. Don't take this wrong way since I am sure you are just trying to help but I think your posts complaining about people not having the "correct" info a little arrogant. While I get it... it's not really that important to 90% of the questions asked on this forum. So if you have something important that can help, I am all ears... but if your saying I shouldn't post a question because my info isn't correct.. then I don't need that kind of negativity and neither does anyone else.

Sorry if you took my post as a lecture or a discouragement to post. That was not my intent. My point is simply that there are a lot of factors that affect the choice of planting beans with buckwheat. I've done it in the early days. I don't plant warm season mixes any more except for the RR beans/corn. However, that is based on my goals and location. My experience with mixing buckwheat and soybeans may not apply in your situation. That is what I was trying to clarify. If your goals or location are different than mine, they may be a reasonable choice for you. For example, someone in the north who wants pods for winter attraction but has browse issues may want to use buckwheat to "hide" beans from deer during establishment. If you have sufficient acreage to address herd health and the summer stress period, you probably are planting enough acreage where browse pressure is not a big issue. If it is, forage beans may be appropriate.

Also, keep in mind that for every guy asking a question, regardless of experience, there are many novice folks reading the posts and taking action. That is one reason I like to qualify my responses based on location and goals.

Thanks,

Jack

@Peplin Creek:
It's amazing that you come on here asking for help and then complain about the answer you get. :emoji_thinking: Lighten up Frances.

I'm newer here and when I read replies, I find that knowing a person's location/zone can be pertinent. I find myself looking for that information regularly.

I did not take yoderjac's reply as a lecture at all. I find him and many others here to be a wealth of information always willing to assist others. I greatly appreciate all those who help others.

i said what I said because that's how I felt. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way at times when they read a post and personally I would much rather everyone stay on topic. Which yeah I know, I was the one who brought us off topic. This isn't the first time I have posted stuff on this site and it won't be last either. I don't think I ever told anyone what they need to doing or how their information should be setup I don't think it's really needed and normally probably makes others feel like they have done something wrong when they haven't. In general everyone responds and helps each other out and yes jack's posts are very detailed and can help a lot new and experienced people out. As for asking for help.... I really wasn't, not this time anyway. I was asking more for any experiences people might have had planting the two together because that's what I plan to do and for anyone that might just be browsing the forum.

i said what I said because that's how I felt. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way at times when they read a post and personally I would much rather everyone stay on topic. Which yeah I know, I was the one who brought us off topic. This isn't the first time I have posted stuff on this site and it won't be last either. I don't think I ever told anyone what they need to doing or how their information should be setup I don't think it's really needed and normally probably makes others feel like they have done something wrong when they haven't. In general everyone responds and helps each other out and yes jack's posts are very detailed and can help a lot new and experienced people out. As for asking for help.... I really wasn't, not this time anyway. I was asking more for any experiences people might have had planting the two together because that's what I plan to do and for anyone that might just be browsing the forum.
Peplin,

I wasn't offended by your post at all. I'd prefer folks to be up front and say how they feel like you did, and I'm sure you are not alone. My posts, as well as some posts of some others, will offend some folks and be very useful to others. Don't sweat it. Let's just keep moving forward. I'd much rather be talking about beans and buckwheat or whatever crop myself.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks yoder,

Sorry for lashing out.

I planted Buckwheat and I&C Cowpeas last year and it was very successful for a summer plot (West Central WI)

I planted Buckwheat and I&C Cowpeas last year and it was very successful for a summer plot (West Central WI)

Interesting... I didn't even think of cow peas. Overall did they keep it browsed pretty well?

I've planted SB into my spring panting of BW a couple times now. I usually get a left over bag from a farmer buddy and just put them in for summer greens. I've never let them go to head, or the deer never let them get there anyway. The beans inside the cage probably would have gotten there but I took the cage down and the deer took care of that. They seem to have done ok together in my limited experience. Going to add some sunflowers to the mix this spring.

Interesting... I didn't even think of cow peas. Overall did they keep it browsed pretty well?

We had very good usage. I also threw in a few pounds of sunflowers, which they found and demolished mostly. A few made it through the summer.

I mixed 20 lbs BW, 25 lbs Cowpeas, 5 lbs Sunflowers, and 5 lbs Lablab per acre. To be honest, I didn't see any lablab. Not sure if they got all of it, it was bad seed, or I just couldn't tell the difference between that and cowpeas.

We then mowed, disced it in and planted a fall rye mix in August.