Some Trees Just Make You Look Smart

Lot2Learn

5 year old buck +
Most of us aren't fruit tree experts and aren't close enough to our trees to dote on them constantly. We do the best that we can and just hope that the results will be positive over the long-term.

Sometimes, though, we get a particular specimen where it just all comes together. The cultivar works well in our climate, it's planted in the right location, it's either disease resistant or we're lucky with a few timely sprays to keep it healthy, and whatever training/pruning interventions we make just seem to work out.

As you're pruning this Spring, take a picture of the one tree that makes you look smart and post it!

Here's mine:
IMG_1730_zps8zjluprd.jpg

That's what I needed to see! Looks great, thanks for posting!

That is really nice looking tree! Variety/stock? I mean the sexy details are important.

It's a Sundance (patented, unfortunately) on mm.111.

And believe me, I have lots of trees that don't make me look smart <grin>.

Post your pictures guys!

Gala m7

Gala.jpg

Chesnut Crab (idk its from Wallace Woodstock)
chesnut Crab.jpg

We lost all our snow the past week, everything is barren, lol!

These trees are in my wifes chicken yard so thats why the red ribbon to scare off hawkes, etc..

great looking trees guys, I hope to have something that looks like that in the next few years

My two sundance trees also have a naturally good shape. Is there any way to pay a royalty and graft patented varieties?

My two sundance trees also have a naturally good shape. Is there any way to pay a royalty and graft patented varieties?
Wait, I thought it was my apple-prowess that was at work here <grin>

On the topic of propagation, here's what's on the Cummin's website: "SUNDANCE (PP13819 TRADEMARK REGISTERED BY PURDUE UNIVERSITY) IS A PATENTED VARIETY AND ANY / ALL SUBSEQUENT PROPAGATION IS RESTRICTED. UPON PURCHASE THE BUYER AGREES NOT TO RESELL, GIVE AWAY OR OTHERWISE DISTRIBUTE TREES OR PROPAGATION MATERIAL TO ANY THIRD PARTY."

That seems clear about sharing scions with 3rd parties, but I do wonder whether this leaves open the possibility of buying a tree and subsequently collecting scions for your own use. I'm really not sure.

Any propagation without a license is restricted until the plant patent expires. Plant patents are good for 20 years from filing date. Can't graft Sundance yourself until 2022.

Wait, I thought it was my apple-prowess that was at work here <grin>

On the topic of propagation, here's what's on the Cummin's website: "SUNDANCE (PP13819 TRADEMARK REGISTERED BY PURDUE UNIVERSITY) IS A PATENTED VARIETY AND ANY / ALL SUBSEQUENT PROPAGATION IS RESTRICTED. UPON PURCHASE THE BUYER AGREES NOT TO RESELL, GIVE AWAY OR OTHERWISE DISTRIBUTE TREES OR PROPAGATION MATERIAL TO ANY THIRD PARTY."

That seems clear about sharing scions with 3rd parties, but I do wonder whether this leaves open the possibility of buying a tree and subsequently collecting scions for your own use. I'm really not sure.

Mark me down for scion from Sundance next year Y2Y!!! Lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'll never find me down here in my laboratory !! My experiments MUST continue !! Igor .......... guard that door. If any agency people come here .......... release the hounds and un-lock the THING !!!!!! MMWWOOAA - HA -HA - HA - HA !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

No one will know about your experiments you don't post about them on the Internet.

I had to jump into Buckvelvet's role for a post !! When I saw him make the comment " put me down for Sundance scion ... " - it got the wheels turning in my head of him sitting in a dungeon with a secret stash of illegal scion grafting " Franken-trees ". You wouldn't DO that .......... would you BV ?? !! :rolleyes:

I had to jump into Buckvelvet's role for a post !! When I saw him make the comment " put me down for Sundance scion ... " - it got the wheels turning in my head of him sitting in a dungeon with a secret stash of illegal scion grafting " Franken-trees ". You wouldn't DO that .......... would you BV ?? !! :rolleyes:

Don't use names BNB, LOL!

Not talking reality anyway, BV - just poking fun because of all the apple tree freaks on here !!!:)

Not talking reality anyway, BV - just poking fun because of all the apple tree freaks on here !!!:)

Oh i'm aware,
onehand_web_textured600.jpg