All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those of you who have timbered your farm

leave the tops,

one other benefit you may see is that if you have a high deer pop... in and around the tops is where a higher percentage of saplings will survive being browsed by the deer. The tops afford some added protection to new growth saplings.

Clear-cut and let the tops lay 3 years ago. I agree that they provide sapling browse protection. The only place I see oaks growing is in tree tops.
5210d899eeeaf4c84f2e69e5f0702787.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yikes! We're deer the demise of all the pines? I thought I had it bad when they ate 298 of my 300 scotch pines. They were knocked back a couple years but most of them still made it.

Short answer - yes every single tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

variety of natural regeneration on my place about 4 years after a select harvest of mostly red pine and mature aspen. The aspen and willows are great....and hold a high stem count....and trees are now about 3" diameter. I saved all the burr oak from harvest.....which are found throughout my property;
The pines rebounded in many areas (shown below) and I consider thinning some of these to provide some bedding pockets within what will become dense pines over time.

Attachments

• regen.jpg
    regen.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
variety of natural regeneration on my place about 4 years after a select harvest of mostly red pine and mature aspen. The aspen and willows are great....and hold a high stem count....and trees are now about 3" diameter. I saved all the burr oak from harvest.....which are found throughout my property;
The pines rebounded in many areas (shown below) and I consider thinning some of these to provide some bedding pockets within what will become dense pines over time.
I suppose I will get my brush hog hooked up this year and clear a few pockets. Not too fond of hand labor....grin.