Timber Harvest

You should have plenty of young walnuts growing wherever sunlight hits the ground after logging. Those new walnut trees could be some high quality trees decades from now as they will have to grow straight to reach the sunlight.

You should have plenty of young walnuts growing wherever sunlight hits the ground after logging. Those new walnut trees could be some high quality trees decades from now as they will have to grow straight to reach the sunlight.
This walnut Grove could provide cuttings for my family for a few generations the way it is shaping up. Hopefully my little ones carry the torch.

Not sure if it was posted, but did you see this? Scumbag in IA stole trees including a 175 yr old burr oak, one of the largest in the state, and doesn't even get sentenced to jail.

This walnut Grove could provide cuttings for my family for a few generations the way it is shaping up. Hopefully my little ones carry the torch.
If you can have good hunting now and long term timber value for your kids and grandkids that’s about all you can ask for.

Trimming the lower branches off the walnuts and cutting competition might be worth the effort if you plan on keeping the property for your kids.

Not sure if it was posted, but did you see this? Scumbag in IA stole trees including a 175 yr old burr oak, one of the largest in the state, and doesn't even get sentenced to jail.

In East Texas,that qualifies for "a good hangin' "

bill

Supposed to be getting one of my properties a select cut next week if the forecast cooperates. Hired a forester who marked the trees a few years ago, had three bids from different loggers and I took the one I felt most comfortable with.

Allegedly burr oak and walnut are at record highs and I have both of those in pretty good numbers. Taking about 65-70% of the burr oak off a south facing slope which should crown release the rest and help it get super thick.

Will be going back this summer to do some bedding cuts and set up the place for hunting traps.

On the menu (marked) to be logged:
Burr oak
Walnut
Elm
Ash
Box elder
Maple
Cottonwoods

That’s great, Brian! What is the condition of your burr oaks? And what state are you in? Ours are huge, but so wolfy(low branches) that I can’t see them being desirable to loggers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s great, Brian! What is the condition of your burr oaks? And what state are you in? Ours are huge, but so wolfy(low branches) that I can’t see them being desirable to loggers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They are (in my estimation) average to above average quality. I have some at my house that were in an open pasture that are quite old and "wolfy" as you describe. Was told by the forester they are firewood trees when they come down.

I'm in MN. The site total has about 100 burr oaks that are >100 years old, so very sizable, most are south facing. Two to three 8' sections before branching on most of them. 53 of them are marked for harvest and three years ago I was quoted $6,000 from one logger, the value has increased since then. Forester advised me to take the 50/50 bid instead of the $6,000, so I would guess the oaks would bring in $10k or more (just a guess). Not life changing money, but coupled with the walnuts it will be a nice little shot in the arm.

I always thought it would be cool to have a few trees cut into boards to make some type of furniture, but I haven't done it yet. The portable sawmills aren't too common in our area, so I don't know if that is even an option.

I don't think that would work well on a larger scale logging operation of even 10 acres since it would take years for a portable sawmill to cut all the trees cut. When I had about 15 acres of woods logged, I ended up with a log landing site that was probably 2 1/2 acres and the logs covered nearly every inch of dirt. It would take a pretty large building to hold all of the boards created when those trees are cut on a portable sawmill.
i agree that it would take a huge building to store all the boards cut. But what option does one have. It is nearly impossible to get a logger to come in and cut a small plot here. The cost of moving the machinery is so great. I have a 30 acre plot of woods that are adjacent to a pine plantation. The only time I have been successful in getting someone to thin my 30 acres was when they were thinning the pine plantation. They didn't have to move very far to get to my place and did a thinning for me.

There is a local logger around here so equipment doesn't have to move far for him, they also have their own mill. He's not the logger who is going to do my place. I chose a guy from 70 miles away and he's trying to knock out a few properties in this area while his equipment is here.

I will be cutting my land this year, signed a contract recently. Has anyone here had experience with determining a timber basis to limit the amount of taxes paid on a timber harvest? I was originally interested in doing this, but don't understand the process completely. I know I need a timber cruise to determine the Timber value at the time of purchase, this is your "timber basis". Do I then need a CPA that is familiar with this to complete my taxes next year or is there something I should set up with them before the harvest is completed?

The logger/forester offered to do a timber cruise while he marks my woods, so I have that piece of the puzzle covered. I just don't understand the paperwork side. Who do I need to contact to set this up properly? Any help from others that has done something like this is much appreciated.

I will be cutting my land this year, signed a contract recently. Has anyone here had experience with determining a timber basis to limit the amount of taxes paid on a timber harvest? I was originally interested in doing this, but don't understand the process completely. I know I need a timber cruise to determine the Timber value at the time of purchase, this is your "timber basis". Do I then need a CPA that is familiar with this to complete my taxes next year or is there something I should set up with them before the harvest is completed?

The logger/forester offered to do a timber cruise while he marks my woods, so I have that piece of the puzzle covered. I just don't understand the paperwork side. Who do I need to contact to set this up properly? Any help from others that has done something like this is much appreciated.
That part needs to be done by an accountant. My accountant set up the Timber Cruise, set the timber value, and offset the taxes.

I've been considering doing the same. My logger recommended I reach out to my local NRCS/USDA office about cost sharing opportunities. It could be considerable dollars, as I understand it. Estimations were that one area of red oak cuttings would have resulted in around $35k of timber revenue and the NRCS/USDA cost share would have resulted in another $40k of additional revenue. Of course you would need to be approved for it. Its worth checking into. Very interesting seeing the programs and funding that is available. Moves slow though.

That part needs to be done by an accountant. My accountant set up the Timber Cruise, set the timber value, and offset the taxes.
Is this something the accountant needs to set up now, prior to harvest? Or something that can be completed at Tax time next year, as long as I have the timber cruise/appaisal completed now?

Is this something the accountant needs to set up now, prior to harvest? Or something that can be completed at Tax time next year, as long as I have the timber cruise/appaisal completed now?
I’m not an accountant. But mine did it in advance.

Timber basis ideally is setup in advance of a cut, but a decent timber accountant can do after if you have the cruise data.

What state are you in? I can recommend a timber accountant I have used in Wi and Mi if you are in that area.

Timber basis ideally is setup in advance of a cut, but a decent timber accountant can do after if you have the cruise data.

What state are you in? I can recommend a timber accountant I have used in Wi and Mi if you are in that area.
That'd be much appreciated. I am in WI. Dunn County (west central WI)