Sodium Selenite

kyhunter87

Yearling... With promise
Anyone know where I can buy sodium selenite to add to a deer mineral I'm mixing?

I am a dairy nutrition consultant by day so trust me when I say you need to be careful with selenium. There are toxicity issues when not fed properly.

You may consider going to your local farm supply store and getting a salt fortified with selenium and other trace minerals.

If you are he’ll bent on sodium selenite I would suggest finding a small mom and pop feed mill. They most likely buy in less concentrated forms than bigger mills and also may sell in less than full bag quantities. It will be expensive. Good luck.

I don’t think you want sodium selenite, I believe that will kill them in anything other then a small amount.

Selenium needs for cattle vary according to the location where feed is grown. In addition, some plants can concentrate it.

Unless you are a very informed nutritionist in the deer industry, I say forget it.

I have forty years in the dairy industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This website is great! That was a very specific question and a number of experts jumped on it with useful insight.
Thanks to all that make this a great community.

I am a dairy nutrition consultant by day so trust me when I say you need to be careful with selenium. There are toxicity issues when not fed properly.

You may consider going to your local farm supply store and getting a salt fortified with selenium and other trace minerals.

If you are he’ll bent on sodium selenite I would suggest finding a small mom and pop feed mill. They most likely buy in less concentrated forms than bigger mills and also may sell in less than full bag quantities. It will be expensive. Good luck.
I understand that selenium can be dangerous for deer in large quantities. I am looking to mix it with salt and other minerals and I'm shooting for 8-15 ppm in my mix. With your experience in the dairy industry what mix would you recommend if I'm making my own mineral? I've seen trace mineral salt , calcium carbonate, Di-cal mix but I want to add other minerals/vitamins at more than just a trace level.

Sandbur made a great point about selenium levels above. I have veterinarians that swear a particular herd is selenium deficient and want me to go higher than legal limits. Others could care less.

The generally accepted legal limit is .3ppm for ruminants. I would have to understand what else is in your mix to offer any real idea on what you should use. The Math is pretty straight forward though. You need to take intake of the deer which I am guessing to be 8-12#. Then figure how much of your mineral an average deer will eat and the concentration of your mix. If you exceed the .3ppm by much I would back it off.

Keep in mind some areas of the country have high selenium levels and some have low as was mentioned above. Also keep in mind your mineral supplements will consist of oxides and sulfates. Organics and inorganic minerals. Each come with a cost and a value to the animal.

Now that your head is spinning might I suggest going to the local coop and buy some trace mineral blocks/bags that don’t have pretty deer on them. I know guys that swear by the Redmond’s products and while I am not as sold as some I think they have value.

If you are still planning to push forward post your recipe and I am sure you will get some opinions.

Sandbur made a great point about selenium levels above. I have veterinarians that swear a particular herd is selenium deficient and want me to go higher than legal limits. Others could care less.

The generally accepted legal limit is .3ppm for ruminants. I would have to understand what else is in your mix to offer any real idea on what you should use. The Math is pretty straight forward though. You need to take intake of the deer which I am guessing to be 8-12#. Then figure how much of your mineral an average deer will eat and the concentration of your mix. If you exceed the .3ppm by much I would back it off.

Keep in mind some areas of the country have high selenium levels and some have low as was mentioned above. Also keep in mind your mineral supplements will consist of oxides and sulfates. Organics and inorganic minerals. Each come with a cost and a value to the animal.

Now that your head is spinning might I suggest going to the local coop and buy some trace mineral blocks/bags that don’t have pretty deer on them. I know guys that swear by the Redmond’s products and while I am not as sold as some I think they have value.

If you are still planning to push forward post your recipe and I am sure you will get some opinions.
Here's what I'm thinking:

Di-cal 50 pounds
Trace Mineral Salt 100 pounds
Calcium Carbonate 50 pounds
Vitamin A,D E supplement 3-5 pounds
Molasses 5 pounds (attractant)
Soybean Meal 25 pounds (attractant/protein)

Here is the Vitamin A,D,E supplement a local nutritionist told me to add.

As what was said earlier, if you are looking to go ahead with this, you can try your local coop, or a veterinarian. Just remember, larger then recommended doses can be lethal, and it may take out a herd if you put it out for all. Plus other animals may get into it, that it may effect as well. Doohop65 seems to be pretty smart on the subject.