So who still has apples hanging

South East Michigan (Zone 6), GrannySmith and GoldRush not even ripe yet. GoldRush will hold a lot till I shake them down in Feb.

If my Dolgo has shriveled up, rotten prunes on the opening day of archery season, I don't think it is a good use of space in my orchard. There are plenty of other varieties I'd like to try instead.
Makes since. This is the first yr that my Dolgo has produced (only 20 or so) so I really don't know what to expect. So far I've been happy that it hadn't dropped it's fruit before season started. Now I'm wondering if it's going to drop it's fruit at all.

Dolgo are clearly not all the same. Seedlings are hit and miss on what you get. The grafted one from Cummins doesn't do what i want. I'll probably add another Dolgo at some point.

I think weather has as much to do with hanging fruit as does what variety. I still have early macs Honeycrisp and Liberty hanging. Not tons but apples still there

I have Arkansas Black and Gold Rush hanging. Going to pick some this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a bear scoping out my Apple trees today, but it didn’t look like he got any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think weather has as much to do with hanging fruit as does what variety. I still have early macs Honeycrisp and Liberty hanging. Not tons but apples still there
This fall, some varieties have dropped far earlier than most years and a few varieties are later. Perhaps a wet fall and most of the summer makes a difference.

My Ida Red is still loaded and usually drops steadily right through November and into December. This tree has been dropping a slow but steady supply of apples since mid-September, although the published ripe date is mid October. For some reason, they seem to be hard to find, but I'd add more around the property if I can find on the right rootstock. Also, my Arkansas Black always holds well into December, and doing the same this year. nov 2 2017.jpg

@Apple Junkie - that's like the quintessential apple tree right there.
I went back to take a little inventory last night and still a good amount of Zumi crabs hanging. They fit your description of a slow and steady drop, but its usually bare by xmas.

I have some on a big old tree and the variety is unknown to me. They are green and are always the last apples to drop. Some of my other trees have a few on the branches. To me they are all apples for the deer and wildlife, so I guess I never learned their names.

I passed a loaded roadside (wild?) apple with big red apples Sunday, the 29th. I regret not stopping to try them. Maybe I can get scions for grafts later.

I just checked it on streetview and the 2009 pic shows a tree a third the size. I can barely believe it.

fY49jnnlVh9EYlRYHHQpwqjBwkvqd2_aJc_0nfiQ6WQznM8JhiSD-PIy-KhTNcqMZ4yLI7HylqHraBOaKBEP4pjZPSjJ_lPkxdp_qEn4tmLLZpmmWlGsVopfe37LOCaRAfbh2dXJeOTLdGmDqkpX0vaOpFlV2IZbDc2t869TJGir3gGdHUG4GfuNjNimurm-oqi3qzKNXwqKFdpJ0p7OEeUJ5tAFA4COMh3fN46yxrLfacO0Z66ROsGvt3GOHlX0bz3Ayzcv9QoVilSYOwq5FZQ3jBnDi_qC8LZeNoew56EE_3Aet0_3IQThuE6INahyKeflc_1N7sSGP_2irHPaWhbVCRZ5D3KNm5IqA6CS7R7nYGe5L7NBbkwOa_XGKV1_1fSugHJQop1sycFkYfCkusU_-Y4YGPKfig6yowmKSxN2oZatfm5lNohpEh6CI9Ao4CPDW5aO6X4YtTw2RPrbzdrV5kq4oxW7IcKT8yX7VhOVJO9QfLm-ip05S5H_rjBkuK0O-Ocs7yTftkIwmmVoo941A6HASExwkbObggjdShQDD_4x5-dkAPYvPr94koYXjLN1dxmluwVmPvyVzg0vJlJ8UqN7KZp6CZvekyb-b7S-NKNPwDY6U4_BemfDidSNV8qLrYbjVmsGo_7LuEvlU0JMBZwwKnfFH6Bt=w1732-h974-no

jrVrHCdaStFjuBzXD89r7JKwptgW2gVpAdI5XEoZVWwZjX3LBXwGDMRjFh7MhHSBNfVGHg_YUnebnUUXw_KA-c5_1kbygOVGRU_isiUMKWEDIOuZ687VLxE0DLTKsY0aOvJj2ZNTxlxm3U1VMZi4QNBrgK-GX4xgib7oOp8ndpVZh9FGh3tIOb2Lwp2kNNs9bhVS53SqiykXGxL5O9jr8POKxjRwu6KsyMl5tlDPVIRLe0BeZu-4TpVXueLZd9O8YbNqEZvlynhpPtgNpJcdUs-pEIdVqcm3o-N4uE8FiUkIClW3NweLVn3IKEoOdF4o6ee-OYOGkDzXHY1VcmWlJtDPIZutyLu_-3eicjVLHqnlDtiLgaQhU_nHyG2vWh5z38G-l7vHc5HFwjYG-w2ToQSnK_YBxFY4xXCZhhOa607ecArypDl8Ng8zIc87wJUtpr9a5np37UMYpL2Nw8TYc97yjkp9Rgrl02SkALbXO983DcDRxXu-hPhV_J8nhPRGXoiISNEGReXUedT7lApUFmKYx4WEar1JTRGvuY-nuO_TYy-bYfOrJtxmZWbkov-jnnI6P_nN0FHeYM4SUz096IRthLL-WIYf7JbDq0ojNRYCVN3BWSl4Tqn-47nKfBjXAUGC927Tw3libouKr36lnKO3ZQUFUcQSal2s=w1732-h974-no

I tried them and not bad. Too close to the road maybe for heavy deer usage? It may be the reason for the ones on the ground.

Worth grafting, maybe.

Nice looking "deer tree" for sure Shedder. I agree, that one would be a good one to graft.

I do. Problem is its right next to the house and I have no clue what it is. Drops most of Nov.

Deer get some at night but mostly the opossums and coons enjoy it.

image.png

For those with Dolgo's - Would they make sense from the standpoint of getting deer coming to your property early in the season ?? Maybe follow up with visits as your other apples drop on through the season ?? That's the main reason I planted a few at camp, and also for pollination.

I plant them for pollination mostly. If they drop in September or December doesn’t make much difference, they are an attractant anyhow. If I can keep the deer on my land more during any hunting season, and out of site of other hunters, it helps my hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those with Dolgo's - Would they make sense from the standpoint of getting deer coming to your property early in the season ?? Maybe follow up with visits as your other apples drop on through the season ?? That's the main reason I planted a few at camp, and also for pollination.

This is my thinking and how they fit into my habitat program as well.

There are lots of reasons to plant early ripening apples or crabs. Pollination could be a good reason if you do not have much variety. Early deer food and attraction is a good reason. Some are good to eat too.

My main orchard is as much for me as it will be for deer. It is also where i am evaluating varieties for both purposes. I already have about 10 apple trees that are likely to become new varieties in the next couple years. Some based on how they have performed and some based on my reasoning changing.

At the farm, goldrush and our barn tree still have apples. The barn tree might be a seedling. It is an old tree that dumps lots of scabby apples most years.

Early season? It's November and mine are still holding. I can only hope the other apples I've planted will hold this late or later. As long as they don't rot on the vine (so to speak) I'll be happy with them as a late season draw.

Here is what mine looked like this evening:
4c3ca420a7dc9deef6ea8a3219568930.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Just checked my yates and michelin yesterday, 11/5, and the yates need about 1 more week to ripen, and michelin are not close to ripening. Shook both trees and neither rained apples.