Smoking clothes?

browndog

5 year old buck +
Does anyone on here smoke their clothes that they use for hunting? I had a buddy stop the other day and he saw my hunting clothes around my campfire and the smoke was blowing right on them, he thought I was absolutely nuts. Just curious if anyone else does it.

I read an article about this a few years ago and tried it.

I used a tin can and some sheet metal to make something like a bee hive smoker. Dry leafs and sticks, smoked my camo really good.
I could smell the smoke on myself in the stand.

The first group of does that got remotely down wind of me went bat shit bananas.

I washed my camo that night and tossed the smoker :D

I've done it a few times. Can't say it hurt or helped. I think in theory it should work.

I've ready plenty about it but have never tried it.

I use all oak when I have the campfire going. I have been doing it for a few years and have seen good results. I've seen deer downwind of me and they have no clue that I am there. I think the biggest thing is that they are so used to the smoke because I have campfires going quite a bit and neighbors burn wood. I can remember sitting in the stand years ago and smelling smoke from woodburners while I was hunting.

Never tried it but in theory it seems it should work, I know there is a lot of ourdoor wood burners around me so they definitely should have smelled smoke. I always wondered about that because my dad always smoked in the stand and he always saw deer and the cigarette smoke didn't seem to bother them alomost made some curious.

I try to always make a campfire to stand by in my blaze orange during our gun season. Can't remember a deer ever busting me because of my scent when I've done so. Think I need to start doing it with my camo during bow season.

The deer in my profile picture is one I used this on. I stood in the smoke also to cover my human scent. It's a smell deer are used to smelling. People can smell a fire from a ways away so think of how far a deer can smell it and it's never an alarming smell. I think it works. Dogs, Coyotes and Wolves roll around in dead animals or fish and the reason it for a cover scent. If nature does it than I'd say natural cover scents work.

A few years back Buckeye cameras were sell a smoker to use on your clothes. The smoker looked somewhat like the one used by bee keepers. The Buckeye staff was so impressed with the results they went to the guy manufacturing them and asked to sell them.

My pops keeps all his clothes in with his beefer. Smells like manure to high heaven. This ozone is the same concept

The stand I sat in last light is not a very good spot with the south/southwest wind we had. All the deer I saw except a spike and 5pt, came from the north. I was worried about the early does and fawns that came out but none of them even knew I was there. None of the bucks had a clue I was there. They were north and northeast of me and the light wind was blowing right at them. I had re-smoked my clothes on Sunday and they weren't overbearing but I could smell the smoke yesterday.On afternoon hunts I usually dress by the campfire and let the smoke get on my skin and hair. One thing I have noticed since I've been doing this, I don't see those old wary does when they are downwind with their nose up in the air, head bobbing trying to pick me off or figure out wth is that smell. I've been very satisfied with the results from smoking my clothes.

I would guess if they are used to smoke smell, it probably doesn't hurt. In the wrong setting, it might not be the best idea. In a rural area that lots of people burn, its probably a great idea!

-John