Simazine

H80Hunter

5 year old buck +
I need a jug of simazine for some switchgrass plantings and I can’t find it locally. Also it’s out of stock on keystone, where I bought in the past. A few places have the powdered solid you dissolve in water. I’m hoping someone can save me from trying to read the whole label and let me know if I can make this work in place of something like Sim-Trol.

Ok I found Princep on Amazon, but my question still stands.

Help me decide on this product: Simazine 4L preemergence herbicide that controls a wide range of grasses and broadleaf weeds. 2.5 Gallon https://a.co/d/fFRR6pM

Up to 4 quarts/acre in 20-25 gallons of water.

I've used simazine for several years. Anywhere you would used atrazine before. It's just not as strong as atrazine but worked fine. Used on miscanthus,Egyptian wheat,and corn. Planning on using it this year on a switch grass planting.

I need a jug of simazine for some switchgrass plantings and I can’t find it locally. Also it’s out of stock on keystone, where I bought in the past. A few places have the powdered solid you dissolve in water. I’m hoping someone can save me from trying to read the whole label and let me know if I can make this work in place of something like Sim-Trol.

I don't know that I'm adding anyhting here. I've used plenty of Simazine (Princep) but never sim-trol. I looked at two labels, one for each of the products. Both contain 4 lbs of Simazine/gal of concentrated product. So, the mix instructions for the finished application should produce the same results when the concentrate is dry or liquid. We used sizimine for its reduced half-life when compared to atrizine. Both are in the same chemical family. So, when a crop like wheat or barley was going to be planted after corn (all are monocots - of the grass family) simizine was in the tank mix sprayed on bare ground (pre-plant incorporated). This wasn't part of the question, but I still think you need to be careful with rates becasue there are certain soil and weather characteristic that strongly influence simizines half-life or persistence in the soil. It can be used post-emergence if it's of any benefit but it's a different mix consideration compared to using it at eastblishment - probably.

So to kick a dormant thread but currently on my mind ...You cannot introduce Simazine to any ground that you intend any broadleaf seeding to occur in unless you are going to seed AFTER the 6 month from date of use window ..or am I missing something here ..I

Bear

Simiaine is a weaker form of atrizine. Basically controlled the same weeds but with a shorter soil residual. I know it primarily as a substitute for atrizine when planting wheat following corn. So, it's not just braodleaf that is of concern it will "control" some grasses as well. But, six months would, I think, be long enough for it to dissapate from the soil - depending on the application rate. This is from memory. Read the label.