All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sherem chain sharpener??

My buddy had one and he said it cut a lot of metal and the chains don't last as long. But maybe take that with a grain of salt. He's particularly hard on equipment.

I find it strange that folks spend allot of money on some of these devices. I'm likely "old school".....but I have always just used a few strokes of the appropriate file size to get a decent sharpening in the field. I suppose after about 6 to 10 times....it's time for a pro-sharpening job.....but??? Maybe I just dont' know what I dont' know?

I like to hand file free hand in the field myself then after a couple touch ups I’ll swap chains and use my Stihl USG to bring the chains back to a factory cutting edge.

Old school here. I use the Stihl hand files with the angle guides & a flat file for the rakers. I just try to file the same amount of strokes on each tooth / raker to keep things even. I look closely to watch for uneven wear though. I have no power sharpener. I always keep a spare sharp chain with me while cutting - in case.

Old school here. I use the Stihl hand files with the angle guides & a flat file for the rakers. I just try to file the same amount of strokes on each tooth / raker to keep things even. I look closely to watch for uneven wear though. I have no power sharpener. I always keep a spare sharp chain with me while cutting - in case.
Same

Not old school......just old

bill

Gettin' there myself, TreeDaddy!!