All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharpening knives

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
I have the standard smith precision system. The diamond stone is in need of replacement. I dont feel I ever had a good sharpening from it, nothing like a new knife.

Anybody have a good technique with the smith system, or is something else much better.

I like the cardboard wheels for my bench grinder.

sharpening a knife with stones is a skill. when I was younger I could do it. I can't seem to hold the exact same angle on every pass now. You'll never have a sharp knife with out it.

I have a chef's choice three stage sharpener and it will make a knife sharp. when I say 3 stages it's the model with three turning grinders. I have one with two grinders and the third station is just a pull though over the white hones. That one stinks.

bill, what chef's choice do you have? They got a few.

I got nice henkles knives, not their basic ones, would you put them in the grinder?

Last edited:
I have a Work Sharp Ken Onion edition. Got it a couple months ago. Every knife I own is now sharper than when it was new. The butter knives may have been a bit overkill, but….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend gave me a coolina knife they had a informative video on sharpening

I have this one,

Chef's Choice Model 120 3-Stage Professional Electric Knife Sharpener​

probably the one Bill descirbed and I use it to sharpen all my knives. I can shave the hair off my arms and cut paper like butter when I'm done with each knife. I haven't used it for serrated ones though, so I can;t comment on that. I've owned it for 15 years and it still works like the first time, although I think it takes me a bit longer to get the edge to shaving specs now.

I have a Work Sharp Ken Onion edition. Got it a couple months ago. Every knife I own is now sharper than when it was new. The butter knives may have been a bit overkill, but….

Came here to say pretty much the same thing.
Super easy to use
Easy instructions with pictures
Sharp @ss knife every time.

I have this one,

Chef's Choice Model 120 3-Stage Professional Electric Knife Sharpener​

probably the one Bill descirbed and I use it to sharpen all my knives. I can shave the hair off my arms and cut paper like butter when I'm done with each knife. I haven't used it for serrated ones though, so I can;t comment on that. I've owned it for 15 years and it still works like the first time, although I think it takes me a bit longer to get the edge to shaving specs now.

Yes I think so. Mine is white but it’s over 15 years old so they may have made some changes. The mechanics are the same.

sharpening a knife with stones is a skill. when I was younger I could do it. I can't seem to hold the exact same angle on every pass now. You'll never have a sharp knife with out it.

Same. That's why I went to the wheels.

Won an auction on a chef's choice 130. $36 bucks shipped and taxes too.

Actually got somewhere with the smith sharpening system. I was sharpening a cheap paring knife before I used it to cleft graft some anty rootstocks. I stuck with the steeper angle only. Ran the diamond until the passes felt smooth. Then, I used the stone at the same angle till the passes felt smooth. Did alot better than the multi angle mess I usually do.

Second. I’ve always loved sharpening on a stone. The work onion is a game changer.

I like DMT stones freehand but there’s definitely a level of skill involved to be proficient. I think a buffer set up would be a great way to keep a spectacular working edge on knives that simply need touch up sharpening from time to time. Only trouble with buffed setup is space and cost. A coworker swears by using a small 1” belt sander he even gave me one to try but old dogs.

I have one of these. One side is a diamond wheel and the other ceramic. Fine steel and a leather strop afterward.

Best I’ve ever used.

Attachments

• 077D56D7-4D45-4E9B-84EB-63B93547291A.png
    077D56D7-4D45-4E9B-84EB-63B93547291A.png
    352.2 KB · Views: 13