All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharpening Felco Pruners?

JAW

Yearling... With promise
I have a pair of Felco #8 pruners. They've served me well over the years, but recently I struggled to cut even small apple tree branches cleanly. The blade was quite dull, so I tried to sharpen the pruners with a fine metal file and then a couple strokes over a fine oil stone. The blade felt sharp when I was done, but it still would not cut branches as well as I would like. Do you know an easy way to sharpen pruning shears, without taking the entire tool apart? If I need to disassemble the tool, is there a preferred method for sharpening them?
JAW

I’d buy replacement parts for it.

I’d buy replacement parts for it.

Agreed I tried to sharpen it, ended up buying a new blade and was back up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I accidently left my pruners in the dirt while planting (took them to potentially cut roots back). I found them rusted a few months later while rabbit hunting. I took them apart, soaked in vinegar for a couple days. There was some pitting but otherwise fine. I sharpened mine using a worksharp. However, I've also sharpened them in the past using a file. I lubed it where the pruners bypass and put it together. It wasn't too hard, but maybe yours is a bit harder. Are your pruners bent where they aren't making a clean pass? If not, maybe they aren't tightened down?

Blue: The pruner blade is not bent and I checked the tightness and it's tight.
Booner & CL: I didn't realize replacement blades were so readily available and inexpensive.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Like @blueKYstream, I use the Worksharp sharpener to sharpen pruners and loppers - it works great:

IMG_2062.JPG

I have taken them apart but usually I just clamp them in a vice in the open position.
IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2060 (1).jpeg

IMG_2061 (2).jpeg