Sethoxydim vs Clethodim

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Need to spot treat some grasses in food plots this spring/early summer. I've not heard great reviews about cleth and have come across sethoxydim. Anyone know if there are outside risks to sethoxydim like a longer residual or harm to off target species? Or is it even better than cleth?

I want to be able to plant back to rye within 60-75 days after spraying. Can it be done, and will it work?

They both have the same chemical structure. Action and half-life are about the same. Use seth like you would cleth. I've used both with similar results. So mine is a price decision. Long ago and far away the two products were in competition for the same purpose. Twist a molecule and you can get a patent even though your new product looks and acts like an old product.

They both have the same chemical structure. Action and half-life are about the same. Use seth like you would cleth. I've used both with similar results. So mine is a price decision. Long ago and far away the two products were in competition for the same purpose. Twist a molecule and you can get a patent even though your new product looks and acts like an old product.
That's about where I ended up. Any bottle of cleth is upwards of $60. I can get an 8 oz botte or seth off of Amazon for $30, and probably have 7 oz on the shelf for the next ten years. It's a small spot, but it's got big potential. I buried lots of brush, stumps, and logs under that plot in 2019. It should really be gearing up to live off that rotting wood, and I want to see it cleaned up and back to perennial polycultures. These dry summers have made it very hard to broadcast germinate rye on top of bone dry duff.

The chicory crop has been legendary in that plot, but I need to get other food back in there too.

Toss some nitrogen in that plot.

I've planted cereal grains 2 or 3 weeks after using clethodim. Killed the grass portion of what I wanted, but left the sedge behind. Kills perennial rye without bothering my tree plantings. Pretty sure it kills crabgrass too. The issue with clethodim, is the give the non-target plants preference. So, other undesirable weeds that clethodim doesn't touch gets bumped up. Weather when I used clethodim has been decently warm, so I can't tell you about early or late season results.

I wouldn't hesitate to spray clethodim 2 weeks before planting, then spray gly when planting buckwheat and some clover. I would put some nitrogen fertilizer on the plot 3 weeks after planting if possible, or while planting. Actually, spread that fertilizer when you put clethodim down. They say waking up the plant when you spray is good.

Clethodim is slow to see results, unlike gly. And it often takes more than one application. Folks have sprayed cleth and gly at the same time on here with ok results.

With any target weed you want gone, know what your dealing with. ID the plant. Some pictures of the plot with the main 2 or 3 weed closeups would be helpful.

Clethodim is basically an oil, so you need a decent amount of surfactant mixed with it. It also has residual smell. It's not that horrible. It reminds me of my childhood because they use that stuff in vineyards alot.