All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott's habitat improvements

My old 1987 200 Honda quad finally puked, I picked up a decent used one today.

Between work and weather I haven't been able to mow so I finally made it out today. Mowed some clover and this, last years brassica plot. Frost seeded some red clover into this this spring, trying to release it.

Same plot earlier in the week, new little guy.

Great pictures and especially that last one!

The apple crop on our place is great this year, this is a odd place for an apple tree but it's loaded. This is right out in the middle of our hay field 300 yds from anything but every year there are scraps around this tree and no apples, they know it's there.

My MG screen and a new NWG field on the right.

Clover next to rye, going to mow this rye and plant cereals again around labor day.

We've finally got a bunch of trees coming out of the tubes.

Bur gambel oak

Hazelnut

I have to get in and clean this out but I planted a 8' square of MG last year and I'm going to try and put a pop up blind in side of it.

4yr old switch screen

That's something with that apple tree. I've got a 20' tall wild crab at my brothers place that was loaded with flowers this year, and it's no more than 75 yards to any of my planted trees (sweet sixteen, chestnut, and sweet tango). One tree had no apples, the other two each had one apple. The chestnut crab didn't have any. And these have been in the ground at least 6 years now.

That's something with that apple tree. I've got a 20' tall wild crab at my brothers place that was loaded with flowers this year, and it's no more than 75 yards to any of my planted trees (sweet sixteen, chestnut, and sweet tango). One tree had no apples, the other two each had one apple. The chestnut crab didn't have any. And these have been in the ground at least 6 years now.
Yea that apple tree is in a different spot, at the other end of the field I also have a huge oak we have to mow around.

Great looking stuff you have growing there Scott. Trees, plots - the works. The deer are gonna be checking that loaded apple tree for sure. They always find apples - wherever they are. We had deer literally racing each other down off a hill whenever a couple apples fell and hit the ground 2 years ago. I guess they'd hear the " thud " and it was finders-keepers !!

How did your frost seeding work out ?? Did you get good germination on that plot ??

Everything is looking great, Scott!

Great looking stuff you have growing there Scott. Trees, plots - the works. The deer are gonna be checking that loaded apple tree for sure. They always find apples - wherever they are. We had deer literally racing each other down off a hill whenever a couple apples fell and hit the ground 2 years ago. I guess they'd hear the " thud " and it was finders-keepers !!

How did your frost seeding work out ?? Did you get good germination on that plot ??
It turned out ok, the pics above where I am mowing in post #165 was my brassicas last year. The part farthest from the camera turned out real good but closest to the camera pretty thin. This is going to get disced under for the cereal grains around labor day. Here's a pic of the good end.

Looking really good man, i like it!

Looks like we are going to have a decent acorn crop this year.

Last year I planted some MG at one end on my swtich field, maybe 10 rhizomes just to see how they do together, and to get some height difference. Planted a couple rows into the switch this spring to do the same. This is last years planting, just about the same size as the swithch right now.

That reminds me I need to check to see if we are going to have a decent on or not this year, problem is my trees are ginormous, I can't see the branches from where i stand.

That reminds me I need to check to see if we are going to have a decent on or not this year, problem is my trees are ginormous, I can't see the branches from where i stand.
We've got some of those too, Had to get longer straps for the sticks and stand to go around this one. Great for a windy day late season.

Yeah I should think that won't rock to much, but if it does, its time to call it a day & change your pants. :)

We had a really wet spring and first part of the summer and now the water has been turned off, about 1 1/2" since last week in June. Went back and watered some of my trees and had to fill the swimming pool.

Pool was just about empty.

Big Blue is starting to show.

This end of the MG screen has really taken off.

This is more the norm through out the rest though.

What size Miracle Tubes do you use? I have been using 5' Miracle Tubes.....I hope that they are tall enough to be out of reach for my deer, especially during the winter months......

These are the 5' also. So far so good here on the deer but you might get a litttle more snow than we do.

I've had trees nipped off in 5' tubes before. That's what pushed me to try to grow things in a 6' tube. So far it's a little more work, but still moving ahead. Not proven though.

I've had trees nipped off in 5' tubes before. That's what pushed me to try to grow things in a 6' tube. So far it's a little more work, but still moving ahead. Not proven though.
Last year I had a couple oaks come out of the tubes, this year I have a lot that have come out of the tubes so we'll see how the 5' tubes do.

Some pics of everything using the kiddie swimming pool. Dates are right but the times are messed up.

Not a shooter yet but a good distinguishing mark on the ear for future reference.