All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving some acorns for next year

Jimmy G

5 year old buck +
Hey all, just wanted some opinions on saving/stratifying some red oak acorns for next year....some say to just ziploc and refrigerate. What do you think

Also, have some SWO acorns that I was planning on planting this year..good idea??

I just ziploc them with a damp paper towel and toss in crisper. I check on them every two weeks or so for mold or drying out to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following this. Found a couple awesome producing white oaks I want to try starting.

I read somewhere to mix half acorns, half sand in a zip lock bag, in the fridge. Giving it a try this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I take a ziplock bag and attack it with a fork. You need to trap moisture but still allow it to breath some. I then place a damp, not soaked paper towel in the bag with the acorns (red oaks) and put in the fridge. Check once a month or so to ensure the paper towel remains damp. When they are ready they will produce radicals even in the fridge so be prepared. White oaks you should plant right away in my opinion to give them as much of a chance to grow yet this year as nature intended.

I take a ziplock bag and attack it with a fork. You need to trap moisture but still allow it to breath some. I then place a damp, not soaked paper towel in the bag with the acorns (red oaks) and put in the fridge. Check once a month or so to ensure the paper towel remains damp. When they are ready they will produce radicals even in the fridge so be prepared. White oaks you should plant right away in my opinion to give them as much of a chance to grow yet this year as nature intended.

J, so then say you plant into containers for this year...simply once dormant bring inside to protect from freezing (Obviously unless planted into a temp spot in the ground)...and bring back out in spring at first signs of life? Looking at doing this some this year...

J, so then say you plant into containers for this year...simply once dormant bring inside to protect from freezing (Obviously unless planted into a temp spot in the ground)...and bring back out in spring at first signs of life? Looking at doing this some this year...
If your putting in containers yet this fall - I would bring them in once they go dormant. Keep in a cool place where you will remember to check the soil moisture level. They will need to stay cool but not freeze like a basement, garage or out building or the like. You still have to make sure the soil is moist. The roots can still dry out and the tree can still die while dormant. Then move back outside once threat of freeze is passed or put into the ground while still dormant. Oaks grow a long tap root and the longer they are in a container the more you may have issues with that tap root. I ran into this with my sawtooths this past year. It's great having them in containers, but you risk having root circling and having to trim that root mass off. I want to get oaks into their forever home as soon as possible so that root development goes to good use. I'm going to try to direct plant whites ( whites, chinks and some SWO) this fall right where I want them from the beginning.......not sure how it will work out, but we will see. Don't be afraid to try them in different ways as well. I did with my sawtooth. Some in containers, some direct seeded in woods opening and some direct seeded into orchard setting. I found planting trees in the woods is a low odds situation. Container trees grew the most, but I think the direct seeded in the orchards will do the best long term.