All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandy soil food plot rotation

CedarSwamp

5 year old buck +
A friend of mine in NE Wisconsin is asking about food plot seed mixes for a fall attraction. He said he’s struggling finding a mix that works. I don’t have experience with sandy conditions, but thought a fall planted winter rye, oats, and chicory mix may be good and then mow the rye prior to it heading out the following year then eradicate the chicory mid-August and then do throw and mow method. I’m thinking this may be a good mix to use (similar to LC mix). Then if he can keep doing the throw and mow method then maybe he can do a brassica mix for the alternating mixture.

Maybe even plant Buckwheat in the late spring to help build OM and thatch for the fall planting?

Soil test would be a must if he hasn’t already.

Any thoughts or advice?

A friend of mine in NE Wisconsin is asking about food plot seed mixes for a fall attraction. He said he’s struggling finding a mix that works. I don’t have experience with sandy conditions, but thought a fall planted winter rye, oats, and chicory mix may be good and then mow the rye prior to it heading out the following year then eradicate the chicory mid-August and then do throw and mow method. I’m thinking this may be a good mix to use (similar to LC mix). Then if he can keep doing the throw and mow method then maybe he can do a brassica mix for the alternating mixture.

Maybe even plant Buckwheat in the late spring to help build OM and thatch for the fall planting?

Soil test would be a must if he hasn’t already.

Any thoughts or advice?
Sounds like a good start to a plan, you could do the buckwheat, oats and I'd add red clover or an annual clover like crimson now and then later this summer do the rye, oats mix and then start all over next spring.

I have had really good results from using winter rye on sandy soils. Last year I had a plot that was very sandy and weedy. Planted oats in the spring then rolled, sprayed and seeded brassica in mid july and this spring I could already see a difference in the soil.

Nova what rate did you plant the brassicas into the rolled oats? Was planning on trying that this year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarf Essex rape seed all by itself. Winter rye works great also and gives you an early green food plot that can be terminated and builds up the soil for your fall plots. My winter rye was planted by itself and also over seeded into plots of RR Eagle Northern Managers mix forage soybeans. My land is in southern Portage county which is known as the "Central Sands" area of WI.