All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Same buck?

MN Slick

5 year old buck +
Had a buck show up in the last 2 weeks that resembles one that was on our farm all last year. Do you think it's the same buck? Right G2 is broken off this year. Similar shape, similar brows, left g3 curves forward, etc. I'm leaning towards it being the same buck.

2015-11-03 18-44-23 M 5_5.JPG 2016-11-29 01-33-36 M 4_5.JPG 2015-11-09 07-21-27 M 2_5.JPG 2016-11-29 01-33-21 M 2_5.JPG

Another angle

2015-11-08 20-46-33 M 3_5.JPG 2016-11-29 01-33-46 M 4_5.JPG

The primary thing that makes me think it might be two different deer is the brow tines. One the 2016 deer, they come off a lot higher from the bases, and left is the shortest. The 2015 deer comes off close at the bases and the right is the shortest.

But, in the first pictures, the 16 deer does look a year older than the 15 deer, so maybe the brows have just changed that much. Two are better than one!!!

Ya, I agree with Native. Brows are the easiest way to tell usually, and those look totally different.

Thanks guys. I think the downward angle of the angle of the 2016 head on picture makes the brows appear higher up but they are actually somewhat similar in relation to the ears.

Let's assume he's a different buck. What are the chances he sets up camp on us for next season. Anyone have late season bucks show up that stick around or show back up for the rut the following season? I can't think of any on my farms off the top of my head but I lack winter food. I'd feel more confident if I had enough food to keep him over the winter.

I have mature bucks in NE MO every year that show up on my food. I'm talking 4 year olds I've never seen before, usually more than one. The deer I wanted to kill this year, I guess at 5, showed up on the plots last winter for the first time when the weather got tough. My situation is a bunch of food left on my place, and not much of anything other than harvested fields around me.

I have mature bucks in NE MO every year that show up on my food. I'm talking 4 year olds I've never seen before, usually more than one. The deer I wanted to kill this year, I guess at 5, showed up on the plots last winter for the first time when the weather got tough. My situation is a bunch of food left on my place, and not much of anything other than harvested fields around me.

We definately need more food to attract them this time of year and hold them.