All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rutabagas

Brian662

5 year old buck +
Has anyone tried these for deer? Was given some seed and told they are a great late season attractant and figured I'd try mixing them in with my brassicas this fall.

Looking for experience or advice on planting rates mixed with other brassicas/turnips.

From my experience you need to plant them in the spring. They are similar to sugar beets in that they grow super slow.

I tried them a couple years ago after I read a article from a guy in Michigan who said they are his favorite food plot planting. They are a long season plant. I planted in late spring. I don't know what happened but I never saw one ruttabaga that grew in a 1 acre plot. It was just weeds. I've been doing plots for 20 years and this is the worst fail I've ever had. I won't even give them another try.

Here in NW Fla they're more a fall/winter item. A friend normally planted them in Oct and he always gave us some in Jan/Feb along with mustard and collard greens. Would take a really hard freeze to damage them. They were sweet and crunchy and he fought off the deer in his garden every winter. Sadly, COVID took him last year.