All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russet variety?

roth2000

5 year old buck +
I was planning on putting in a russeting variety of apple in my home orchard and was hoping for some suggestions. For some reason I just can't shake the idea of adding one to the orchard. Are there any really cold hardy varieties that would still ripen before frost or am I just chasing a lost cause? I live in zone 4a/3b. I appreciate any advice.

check out Hudson golden gem

My favorite is a chestnut crab for a russeted apple. Not sure how well they do north of zone 4 though.

Hey apple guys - I had asked on another forum about russet-type apples. Are they any good for growing for deer? From what I read, they seem to ripen late and are hard ( as opposed to softer apples ), and hang on late. Are they " no-fuss " types or are they in need of pampering? From the pix I've seen of them, they look like some of those old, weather-beaten sentinels you find in an old tree-row or overgrown orchard. What's the scoop on them ?

Here's an interesting russet.
http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/keener-seedling/
and from Century Farm in NC.
Keener Seedling (latest ripening of all my apples..... I have picked at least a few apples from the tree consistantly during the first week of December..... firm, sweet, and dry. )
It's a southern apple so don't know just how hardy it is, but I'm going to give it a try here in Pa. It's also known as Rusty Coat. When I was a kid my grandmother called the little hard russet apples that grew on the old trees on their farm Rusty Coats.

I have included 3 Golden Russet in next year's order. Hoping to develop a combo orchard...a little for me, a little for the deer, and a little for cider...;)

My favorite is a chestnut crab for a russeted apple. Not sure how well they do north of zone 4 though.
I gave my uncle a chestnut crab about 20 years ago and it still does well. that is up in zone 172.

What defines a russet apple?