Cold hardy Chestnut seeds

Jaxon Holler

Yearling... With promise
Trying to source some cold hardy Chestnut seeds or seedlings. Read through all the threads on here along with many other web sources and I've got some reservations about which variety to go with. I'm in zone 4. Many trees are rated for zone 4 but it seems like most folks here and elsewhere have winter die back and failed plantings even with zone 4 rated trees. Is he interested in purchasing seed source from proven trees that have survived to throw nuts in colder climates.
I've even attempted to locate native American Chestnuts based on a report by the WI DNR from the 70's that listed surviving groves. So far no luck there. Appreciate any suggestions or advice!

I wouldn’t pay a big premium for seed or seedlings that are marketed as cold hardy. Given the likelihood of failure, I’d look for cheaper options so you can plant more in hopes of having a few that genetics to be hardy enough. It’s a numbers game if you can get a few to survive over the long run.

I personally know of a few dozen mature chestnut trees in 4B in Minnesota (in and around the Twin Cities). I've heard of some trees up near Detroit Lakes, so I think they can comfortably get into 4A as well. Here (https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...=#d=gs_qabs&t=1694388515271&u=#p=Xs20LCLwCFQJ) is a source that found American chestnuts to be more cold hardy than Chinese chestnuts. These were genetically pure nuts and plants. Obviously with the American chestnuts blight is always going to be an issue. I'd recommend planting American and hybrid chestnuts with some American traits. At the very least you might be able to graft on GMO blight resistant American plant material or plant those nearby in the near future when it gets approved.

I have been buying several nut varieties from burnt ridge nursery each fall. Each of these is a commercial hybrid. I have had a few overwinter in the twin cities where I live, but not planted in the ground. I have taken all of the survivors down to my farms in northern Missouri. I do have some plants from this year if you are interested.

I personally know of a few dozen mature chestnut trees in 4B in Minnesota (in and around the Twin Cities). I've heard of some trees up near Detroit Lakes, so I think they can comfortably get into 4A as well. Here (https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,24&q=cold+hardiness+chestnut&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&t=1694388515271&u=#p=Xs20LCLwCFQJ) is a source that found American chestnuts to be more cold hardy than Chinese chestnuts. These were genetically pure nuts and plants. Obviously with the American chestnuts blight is always going to be an issue. I'd recommend planting American and hybrid chestnuts with some American traits. At the very least you might be able to graft on GMO blight resistant American plant material or plant those nearby in the near future when it gets approved.

I have been buying several nut varieties from burnt ridge nursery each fall. Each of these is a commercial hybrid. I have had a few overwinter in the twin cities where I live, but not planted in the ground. I have taken all of the survivors down to my farms in northern Missouri. I do have some plants from this year if you are interested.
Thanks for the recommendation on Burnt Ridge, I went on and ordered some seeds today. Maraval, Layeroka and American Chestnut seeds. I picked the three most cold hardy varieties and hopefully i can get a few to make it through. I think direct seeding this fall may be a better option so they can establish to their permanent location right away. I'm also going to try some seedling American Chestnuts in the spring

Thanks for the recommendation on Burnt Ridge, I went on and ordered some seeds today. Maraval, Layeroka and American Chestnut seeds. I picked the three most cold hardy varieties and hopefully i can get a few to make it through. I think direct seeding this fall may be a better option so they can establish to their permanent location right away. I'm also going to try some seedling American Chestnuts in the spring
I have had pretty solid luck with Maraval and currently have some Layeroka on order. The Maravals are a little slow to germinate but are among the fastest growing chestnut seedlings I have planted. Several made it to 3ft in the first year by growing in pots.

If you do end up direct seeding the chestnuts this fall, I would recommend using something to keep rodents and other mammals from digging them up. There have been a few posts on this forum about how to go about this. I don't live on my farms, so keeping an eye on the seeds overwinter is a bit tough. Plus, I enjoy having the project of growing them from seed indoors right around the time cabin fever sets in.

I have had pretty solid luck with Maraval and currently have some Layeroka on order. The Maravals are a little slow to germinate but are among the fastest growing chestnut seedlings I have planted. Several made it to 3ft in the first year by growing in pots.

If you do end up direct seeding the chestnuts this fall, I would recommend using something to keep rodents and other mammals from digging them up. There have been a few posts on this forum about how to go about this. I don't live on my farms, so keeping an eye on the seeds overwinter is a bit tough. Plus, I enjoy having the project of growing them from seed indoors right around the time cabin fever sets in.
I actually just got off the phone with Michael at Burnt Ridge, I had a question on shipping time and he recommended the Collosal instead of the Maraval. It's supposed to be more cold hardy so I switched my order. I think I'll direct seed half and stratify then pot the other half to see what works better.

That is great to know about Collosal. I think I tried to get some in the past but they were sold out already. Might add some to my order.

Went and snapped some pics of the American chestnut by my house in the Twin Cities. Looks like it needs a pollinizer as most of the burs are empty.

Attachments

• PXL_20230911_175231495.jpg
    PXL_20230911_175231495.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230911_175242623.jpg
    PXL_20230911_175242623.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 13