All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules of thumb on when to topwork?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
Frost was hard on my last two years of top working. Or maybe I just don’t get the rind grafts tight enough.

Any suggestions besides watching when the bark slips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seal the top of the stump so that moisture cant get in or out. Seal the end of the scion, some people go so far as to seal the scion in something like Parafilm though I have never bothered.

I dip both ends in hot candle wax, put in a ziplock bag with a small damp paper towel.

My experience with that pear I did last year i'm taking into this spring to do an apple as well. I waited for bud to break which meant bark was slipping great. Peeled it back, stuck the scions in, wrapped it and pained it with i think those were wax covered. I did leave nurse branches as well, the scion healed in great and some grew as much as 4-5 feet. Nurse branch helps big time, if you don't have 1 the tree can supply to much moisture to the scion and actually kill it just the opposite of them drying out.

My experience with that pear I did last year i'm taking into this spring to do an apple as well. I waited for bud to break which meant bark was slipping great. Peeled it back, stuck the scions in, wrapped it and pained it with i think those were wax covered. I did leave nurse branches as well, the scion healed in great and some grew as much as 4-5 feet. Nurse branch helps big time, if you don't have 1 the tree can supply to much moisture to the scion and actually kill it just the opposite of them drying out.

I never heard of that with too much moisture. Interesting. Thanks.

I never heard of that with too much moisture. Interesting. Thanks.

Art my source for this info was from watching some Ken Coates videos on youtube, he is a commercial grafter on the west coast that top works thousands upon thousands of older orchards each year to new varieties.

First topworks of the year. Winter Wildlife, Shafer, and Trail. Should I add something to the nurse branch or just leave it?
3247fae0406f26495661f2b5aabc6186.jpg

First topworks of the year. Winter Wildlife, Shafer, and Trail. Should I add something to the nurse branch or just leave it?
3247fae0406f26495661f2b5aabc6186.jpg

I topworked some more seedlings. Got mine done. Used two of my seedlings for scion, also Linda Sweet and Altai Mtn.