Removing tree cages

Charman03

5 year old buck +
How big do you like your trees to be before you remove the cage? I’m dealing with deer around here, no bears.

How big do you like your trees to be before you remove the cage? I’m dealing with deer around here, no bears.
I like the trees about 10-15 years old and tall enough that most of the tree is above 6' above ground so the deer cannot destroy the tree. See this video I made (which has been posted before). The trees had their cages removed two years before his video was made and most trees were about 10-13 years old and on M106 and MM111 rootstock.

You might want to mention what the trees are?

When my lowest scaffold branch gets above my 5’ cage. I only have one 6-7 year tree that has made it that far. The rest are pretty far off, gonna be around the 10 year mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apples on b118 and Emla 111

If you remove the cages, what's the plan to protect the trunks from bucks rubbing?

Really comes down to how many trees can you afford to loose, before your planting efforts cannot recover.

I have multiple had 2"-3" aspens that I was growing rubbed by one buck. I removed the protective wire and he destroyed enough of the cambium that in the next spring, 7 trees died.

The deer may not impact the upper crown, they can destroy the tree by attacking the trunk.

Good points on the trunk. Wife has just been getting on my lately about the cages on the yard trees. Guess she doesn’t dig the look lol

Here’s what I’m dealing with, they are relentless 7930D007-A705-4156-9714-26C9F0F1A864.jpeg

As soon as the lowest scaffold branches are 5 feet I remove the bigger cage and place a smaller one made of cheaper wire around it just to keep the bucks from rubbing the trunk. 4-5 year mark seems to be an average.

Just saw your picture, I would replace that cage with something to keep bucks from rubbing it now. Most of that tree is out of their reach unless that picture is misleading.

As soon as the lowest scaffold branches are 5 feet I remove the bigger cage and place a smaller one made of cheaper wire around it just to keep the bucks from rubbing the trunk. 4-5 year mark seems to be an average.
I like that idea

Just saw your picture, I would replace that cage with something to keep bucks from rubbing it now. Most of that tree is out of their reach unless that picture is misleading.
It’s pretty accurate, 4 trees are about that size, then several more are a year behind those.

I see Prof. Kents video shows a few of his trees with a small cage around the trunk just bigger than the trunk, that is what I do with a height of 4-5'. The deer will rub an apple tree trunk no matter how big it gets here, we have a high deer density. I have had no issue losing any trees caging this way. I wish I could figure out a way to keep the bears off them, that is a source of damaged trees for me.

I don't base it so much on age but when the trees get to around the 3" dbh mark and like others when lower limbs are at the 5+ ft range. Used to use 6 in drain tile and later spray painted them white but now just go with a smaller cage that is not staked but keeps rubbing from happening. This is the same crab apple from about age 7 to 12 yrs

DSC01478 (Large).JPGDSC10288 (Large).JPGDSC11085 (Large).JPG

I don't base it so much on age but when the trees get to around the 3" dbh mark and like others when lower limbs are at the 5+ ft range. Used to use 6 in drain tile and later spray painted them white but now just go with a smaller cage that is not staked but keeps rubbing from happening. This is the same crab apple from about age 7 to 12 yrs

View attachment 25142View attachment 25143View attachment 25144
Great looking trees but one word of advice. I will replace the corrugated drainage tile with Aluminum screening. The black tile is not an enclosed envelope and allows insect egg laying bores to develop. I have seen the same problem occur with tree tubes. Another problem with drainage tile is it holds in wetness and can cause damage to the cambium. I have said in a post before, so to let you know I have around 450 trees on my property and have used Aluminum screening to protect from bores, voles, and sunscald and had only 1 tree in 15 years lost because I failed to notice the screening had opened up due to growth and fell off. The one tree died due to vole damage.

Great looking trees but one word of advice. I will replace the corrugated drainage tile with Aluminum screening. The black tile is not an enclosed envelope and allows insect egg laying bores to develop. I have seen the same problem occur with tree tubes. Another problem with drainage tile is it holds in wetness and can cause damage to the cambium. I have said in a post before, so to let you know I have around 450 trees on my property and have used Aluminum screening to protect from bores, voles, and sunscald and had only 1 tree in 15 years lost because I failed to notice the screening had opened up due to growth and fell off. The one tree died due to vole damage.
Is it possible aluminum screen could retain enough moisture to harm the tree? My trees are packed in snow 5 months a year. I removed all the screen this spring because I didn’t like the ways the trunks looked compared to trees with no screen. It seemed like the trunks were always wet. I am wondering if it has lead to the deaths of chestnuts and liberties that really have no other cause of death.

In bear free areas I use 6' tall welded wire cages that are about 5' in diameter until I can get the lowest scaffold around 5' or so. That's typically around year 4-6 for me. I actually have a couple B118 Franklins that are big enough to remove the big cages this fall at year 3. I remove the big cages as early as possible so then I have an excuse to put that cage in a different area the following year for a new planting.

Once the big cages are removed I put a 4' tall section of welded wire around the trunk to prevent buck rub damage. I just use a small piece for that to create a trunk cage maybe 8" in diameter. That will stay on indefinitely. I also use aluminum screen around the trunk both with the big cages and also when I have the smaller trunk cage on.

Once the tree has an appreciable crown and the lowest branch is above my 5' tall cages. I reduce the exclusion cage diameter down to roughly a little larger than the trunk diameter. I never remove the cage completely - asking for rubbing. They want to beat up a lower branch or two...that is fine....but leave my trunk alone! There are exceptions to every rule....but that is the general rule on my place.

Great looking trees but one word of advice. I will replace the corrugated drainage tile with Aluminum screening. The black tile is not an enclosed envelope and allows insect egg laying bores to develop. I have seen the same problem occur with tree tubes.

Paul Knox did not use tree tubes on fruit trees for this very reason

See his classic thread on apple/pear trees

Apologies in advance for being redundant as all of Mr Knox's threads are classic

bill