Rage Deflections

Pretty good odds this guy ^^^^^ is from MN.
Thanks for the welcome, not from MN. Saw an old thread on QDMA about this place and thought I'd check it out. From what I can tell, I wasn't missing anything. I guess it was a bunch of ado about nothing. Enjoy

This is just a rip off of a thread on the QDMA forums. Nothing original to be had here? Seems not

Yep, guess you're right. Only difference is that the QDMA thread has some actual pics and this one has nothing for "proof"

Oh well, these forums are about as active as my 95 year old grandma, I'll head back to where there are actually more than 4 people posting

These ^^^^^ are your first 2 posts here and you want to talk about getting a "welcome"? What's your screen name over on QDMA?

These ^^^^^ are your first 2 posts here and you want to talk about getting a "welcome"? What's your screen name over on QDMA?
Punkass6969? Lol
If he's a QDMA forum guy, then I would say he's not a MN guy...
Either way he/she/Bruce Jenner is a troll.

Sent from 25 ft up a tree

Isn't it about time for someone to start a ballistic tip thread?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nah... ballistics with headshots gets too messy! :P

Yep, guess you're right. Only difference is that the QDMA thread has some actual pics and this one has nothing for "proof"

Oh well, these forums are about as active as my 95 year old grandma, I'll head back to where there are actually more than 4 people posting

How would the OP have any "proof" if he heard this info from someone else? It's just an honest question. I can completely see it being something people want to know, as there is no name as big in the expandable game. Nobody is slamming Rage, so calm down. As for your grandma... I'll leave that one alone.

As to the original post, I've had no deflections. I used a rage hypodermic this year on a quartering away shot. It broke through the rib on the way in, but the shoulder on the out side. No pass through, but I don't expect that with a quartering away shot when I aim at the opposite shoulder.

Nah... ballistics with headshots gets too messy! :p

Sounds like you have some expierence with.

I did doe on corn pile with 22-250 40 grain a number years back had ears and muzzle left of head. Poor girl at registration about threw up. I was nice and help with tagging.

Sounds like you have some expierence with.

I did doe on corn pile with 22-250 40 grain a number years back had ears and muzzle left of head. Poor girl at registration about threw up. I was nice and help with tagging.

No sir, I thought we were talking about these!
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/bow-mag-38-357-magnum-arrowhead-6-pk?a=1692605

This is just a rip off of a thread on the QDMA forums. Nothing original to be had here? Seems not

You mean the one where the OP is confusing the entrance and exit holes in the 70 pound doe he took? Yeah, great thread.

Deerhunter, I'm not sure if you know... It's deer season. Some guys go out in the woods and hunt rather than sitting on their computer complaining. You should give it a try some time. It's a lot of fun!

If this place is so bad, nobody said you need to come here. Go troll elsewhere.

-John

I had an issue with Rage in the very early years. Back when they used O rings, I had one side open up in flight and threw a heck of a knuckle ball at that deer. Severed the tendon behind the back knee. I ended up getting another arrow in him, but still left me feeling "icky." That's the only issue I've ever had.

Though I've personally never had a deflection, I believe every single head out there has them. I've seen the footage of a guy getting a deflection with a Muzzy fixed blade and saw the dead deer later (when someone else killed him a month later)...it deflected on a rib and went along the hide, never penetrating the cavity, despite a well placed arrow. I've seen them with the old Bear heads. I've seen a bunch with some of the first generations of expandables, where the blades folded back top to bottom. I really believe they happen with every head to one extent to another.

As a side note, where'd everyone go? To say it's hunting season is disingenuous. The lack of activity really is too bad...was an awesome place...Hope it rebuilds. From what I see, there are still some great resources here, the posters are generally great guys...just a lot fewer of them/very little traffic.

40th year for me too. Not quite 1400 deer though but, I have shot fixed blades more than expandables in that time and I am liking the Rage Extremes now. I am having no issues with penetration or pass through. What I really like is the 2+ inch gash they make. Makes for a lot of blood quickly. I figure that you should use whatever works best for you, which is what I do.

Literally 10 minutes ago one of my office buddies just called me and tells me he stuck a giant last night down by the ponds(I turkey hunt his place, so I know where he is speaking of). 1/4ing hard away, 27 yards. First thing I ask was "Were you shooting expandables?" Take a guess at his reply..."Yup, 3 blade Rage." All I could say was, "Good luck!" They likely pushed him too hard last night, tracked him for about a mile and a half across one ridge, down the east side and south to the end of a long valley, back up the opposite ridge heading NNW, and then started to circle back west towards where it was hit, but still a solid half mile from the shot site. Lost blood in the dark. :( He is in some very steep terrain, 400'-500' feet verticals from bottom to top in most areas. He found the fletching half of the arrow and thinks the broadhead is still in the deer. No pass-through, as he is only getting blood from one side while trailing. He is reluctant to go back out now because he doesn't think the neighbors will let him track it across their property this close to the gun opener.

Shot a 3 year old 8 with the rage 2 blade and it zipped right through him and he went 30 yards and fell over. Blood trail was just crazy.

Well, my coworker just sent an email saying he would be gone for the remainder of the day. I think he may have decided to give it one more shot at finding that deer before the rain comes this afternoon. His dad owns some beagles. I told him to get the best one, take it to the blood trail, let him get a big whiff and send him on his way. Hopefully he is successful.

Steve,
How many cable dudes have no pass thrus with the expandables they are whored, errrr, sponsored by? I can not remember the last fb muzzy, hellrazor or g5 Montec that did not pass thru and drive deep into the dirt. Will You at least admit expandable penetration is consistently poor with few pass thrus? As far as deflections on bone with fb's> Sorry, 40th year on my place, over 1000 antlerless, and 400 bucks, hundreds of bt's. I want a second and lower drain hole with no bone deflection. Frankly expandables are for guys who wont take 30 minutes to paper tune a bow.

I respectfully disagree but I also know what my arrows can and can't do. Many others probably don't. I know they will make up for a bad shot more than a fixed. On a single lung hit you better believe I would want an expandable over a fixed. Drive one into the shoulder and its bad. Fully admitted. I always get pass throughs but I take good shots, with a good tuned bow with heavy arrows.

I don't use rage but I do use NAP Killzones. Every deer shot with them has died within sight. Its not as black and white as you make it to be.

e71e8ba262ba6d82392afed6d111673f.jpg

I would think it's quite possible to shoot right over the lung with an expandable two blade if it comes across the top horizontally. I shoot a 4 blade fixed that will fly just like my field tips so it's one less thing for me to worry about malfunctioning.

Steve,
How many cable dudes have no pass thrus with the expandables they are whored, errrr, sponsored by? I can not remember the last fb muzzy, hellrazor or g5 Montec that did not pass thru and drive deep into the dirt. Will You at least admit expandable penetration is consistently poor with few pass thrus? As far as deflections on bone with fb's> Sorry, 40th year on my place, over 1000 antlerless, and 400 bucks, hundreds of bt's. I want a second and lower drain hole with no bone deflection. Frankly expandables are for guys who wont take 30 minutes to paper tune a bow.

What do you mean expandables are for people that don't paper tune their bow? I don't get what you mean.

Fixed blades will not hit the same spot as your field points unless the bow is finely tuned, aka paper tuned. Expandables will. That's why many people choose to use expandables because out of the box they will hit closer to their field points compared to fixed blades.

Fixed blades will not hit the same spot as your field points unless the bow is finely tuned, aka paper tuned. Expandables will. That's why many people choose to use expandables because out of the box they will hit closer to their field points compared to fixed blades.

Again with all due respect this really isn't fine tuned. If you fixed blades are not hitting the same spot your bow is not tuned. If you are moving your site for your bh's that's bad.

Many people incorrectly use mechanicals as a band aid to not show the tuning flaw. It still exists however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I consistently pull my expandables out of the dirt, but I am shooting a 415 gr arrow at 328fps. My bow also tunes fine and will but a bare shaft into the group at 20 yds. I shot two does back to back high double lungs with thunderheads. I almost lost both of them due to poor blood trails, I switched then and haven't looked back.