All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radishes in Clover

bbcoach

5 year old buck +
Started our fall food plot plantings today. We planted 2 plots in Daikon radishes, Purple top turnips and rape. I also started an experiment and sowed radishes in my durana clover. I put down about 3 lbs of radishes on a half acre of durana and cultipacked. The plot had a little over an inch of rain a couple of days ago so the ground was semi soft. I'll keep everyone posted with some PICS and the progress or the lack there of.

I must of had enough moisture. I went out today to mow the clover and the radishes have started to germinate (2 days after sowing and cultipacking). The hulls have started opening and I'm seeing the root ready to take hold. I mowed the durana to about 4 inches and discharged the clippings over top of the radishes. I'll make another trip to the plot the first of next week and post some PICS. We are supposed to get some rain tomorrow and Friday, so I'll probably see a couple of small leaves by then.

Outstanding. Looking forward to seeing the pics! Lots of guys have talked about broadcasting into clover but I haven't seen results posted. I've had great success drilling but it would be great for many without a drill if surface broadcasting and cultipacking works.

Thanks,

Jack

Just received about an inch of rain at my house from our predicted Thursday afternoon thunderstorm. My Farm Logs program said I received about .75 of an inch on my food plot, so it's Game On with our radish experiment and brassica food plots. PICS coming Jack as soon as I get back to the plots. The plots are about a 45 minute drive so I'm not there everyday.

If yours end up looking better than the ones I drilled after spraying with one quart of Gly and fertilizing I am not going to be happy ha ha. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If yours end up looking better than the ones I drilled after spraying with one quart of Gly and fertilizing I am not going to be happy ha ha. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WTNUT, I'm not sure what to expect with my experiment and brassica plots after the rain we got today. After about .75 inches of rain yesterday afternoon, we got bombarded with another 2 inches this afternoon and evening. A total of almost 3 inches in two days. I'm hoping it didn't drown everything and we don't get any more rain for at least a week or more. I'm glad we cultipacked the radishes into the clover and double cultipacked our brassica plots, once after discing the plot and once again after we sowed the seed. I'm hoping the cultipacking will keep the seed from being driven too deep into the soil by the rain. One consolation with this much rain this early is I still have time to reseed everything if I don't get a Good stand.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised unless the plots are in a low place and completely under water.

Here is the results of my experiment simply broadcasting brassicas into gly set back clover.

No rolling, cultipacking, or tillage whatsoever.

Broadcast and walk away.

You cannot tell by the pics but there are lots of smaller plants getting ready to spring forth as well.

Will update photos in a couple weeks.

dfab89145269313802fef40b1fb6bbd6.jpg

and a little closer up

f138c926a1560d0c89f2584dc5a87ff4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes that is what I was expecting to see. It will be very good and loosen up that soil under that Durana. Good hunting. "D"

Well I believe too much rain on Thursday and Friday has caused a failure of my radish experiment. I went out to my clover plot today and can't see any radishes growing or germinating. There maybe some under the clover, I'll know in a few weeks, but I'm not optimistic. The brassica plots we put in probably have about a 30% germination and growth rate. I had some extra seed with me so I top sowed them again. We are not supposed to get any rain this week but the ground still has plenty of moisture so I'll see what things look like next week. We deal with this, too much rain at once thing, just about every fall.

I did some Radishes in clover as well. This clover is about 4 years old now and getting some grass in it. So I sprayed with a half rate of Glyphosate then broadcast some tillage radishes into it and let the dead grass fall down on top of the seeding. The clover is coming back nicely from being burnt. And the radishes may do ok as well!DSCN0962.JPG DSCN0963.JPG

What would your thoughts be on doing the opposite -- I have a 1 acre brassica plot that will need to be rotated to clover for next year. Should I spread cereal rye and white clover into the somewhat dense brassica plot now? Or just spread some cereal rye in there now and save the clover for frost seeding in March? Or will even the rye have a hard time getting established against the mature brassicas? I think brassicas can have somewhat of an allopathic effect on clover.

What would your thoughts be on doing the opposite -- I have a 1 acre brassica plot that will need to be rotated to clover for next year. Should I spread cereal rye and white clover into the somewhat dense brassica plot now? Or just spread some cereal rye in there now and save the clover for frost seeding in March? Or will even the rye have a hard time getting established against the mature brassicas? I think brassicas can have somewhat of an allopathic effect on clover.

I would just broadcast white clovers in the dense brassicas now. Seed 10lbs per acre and you will have a great plot come next year.

I thought I would post a current picture of my experiment of hitting an old clover field with gly at the rate of 28 oz per acre and the simply broadcasting brassicas into the field.

No tilling, no cultipacking, no nothing. Spread and walk away.

Looking good so far.....

10 days ago

cf218a02ee97e18c747656c98af432e4.jpg

and today

b4d1e2bd87896d75e0846f2177a16082.jpg

Mo - You gave me an idea for what to try in an old clover plot. It still has a lot of white clover in it, but grass has taken over. I think we'll hit it with gly and kill the grass, then overseed with radishes. This will be done NEXT summer - too late for radishes now. Did you just broadcast the radish seed ?? Your plot looks really good, Mo.

Mo - You gave me an idea for what to try in an old clover plot. It still has a lot of white clover in it, but grass has taken over. I think we'll hit it with gly and kill the grass, then overseed with radishes. This will be done NEXT summer - too late for radishes now. Did you just broadcast the radish seed ?? Your plot looks really good, Mo.

Yep, just broadcast the seed 1/2 hour after I sprayed with the 1/2 rate of glyphosate. Then we got good rains to pound it in the ground. I would not do it if you are in a dry spell next summer, only if a wet pattern is coming. Good luck and take pictures!

And some guys are missing all this good info.......

Thanks, Mo. I'll wait for oncoming rain next July to overseed that plot.

Thanks, Mo. I'll wait for oncoming rain next July to overseed that plot.

Hope it works out good. Take some pics as you go and post them.

I thought I would update my results from my experiment in spraying a 4 yr old grass choked clover field with 28 oz of gly and the simply broadcasting brassica seed.

No mowing, no cultipacking, spray and throw.

Here is the field on August 21st, ten days after spraying.

751aa7e07c14d82f913bee22205af143.jpg

10 days later on Aug 31st

1fd95669acd5d2dc237b19862b272b17.jpg

and today on Sept 16th

fab1f8a94b4a3b6c1093a2adca023b66.jpg

I'd call it a complete success!!!!